Cat Large Wheel Loaders are designed with durability built in, ensuring maximum availability through multiple life cycles. With optimized performance and simplified serviceability, our machines allow you to move more material efficiently and safely at a lower cost per ton. The Cat 990 Wheel Loader has been a proven performer in mines, quarries and industrial applications around the world. The 990K brings all new levels of performance, safety, operator comfort and efficiency.
Steering and Transmission Integrated Control System (STIC™)
- Simple side-to-side motion turns machine right or left, minimizing operator movements.
- Easy to operate finger controlled gear selection.
- Smoother, faster cycles and less operator fatigue through the use of low effort integrated controls.
Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission
- Consistent, smooth shifting and efficiency through integrated electronic controls.
- Long life and reliability through heat treat gear and metallurgy.
- Three forward and three reverse speeds to match your application.
Cat C27 ACERT Engine
- Optimized performance and quick engine response with an electronic control module.
- Reliable efficiency with complete control over injection timing, duration and pressure with Mechanically Actuated Electronic Unit Injection (MEUI™).
- Extended engine life and improved fuel efficiency with reduced rated speed.
- Available in two versions: one that meets Tier 4 Final emission standards, and another that meets emission standards equivalent to Tier 2 emission standards.
Impeller Clutch Torque Converter (ICTC) and Rimpull Control System (RCS)
- Reduce tire slippage and wear by modulating rimpull from 100 to 25 percent while depressing left pedal. After 25 percent rimpull is achieved the left pedal applies the brake.
- Reduce the potential for wheel slippage without reducing hydraulic efficiency with RCS.
- Improve fuel efficiency in certain applications with our lock-up clutch torque converter providing direct drive.
Positive Flow Control Hydraulics
- Fast, productive cycles are enabled by the fully variable implement pump.
- Increase bucket feel and control through increased hydraulic response.
- Consistent performance and efficiency with lower system heat.
- Full hydraulic flow down to 1,600 engine rpm.
Electro Hydraulic Controls
- Operate comfortably through electronically controlled hydraulic cylinder stops.
- Handle easy-to-use soft detent controls.
- Conveniently set automatic implement kickouts from inside the cab.
- Increase efficiency with our variable displacement piston pumps.
- Achieve precise positioning for easy loading in tight areas with 35 degrees of steering articulation.
- Enhance operator comfort with integrated steering and transmission control functions.
- Case drain screens.
- Hydraulic oil cooler return filter.
- Pilot filter.
- Return screens inside hydraulic tank.
- Axle oil cooler screens if equipped.
Entry and Exit
- Fold up STIC steer/armrest.
- Reduced access stairway angles.
- Standard stairway lighting.
Cat Comfort Series III Seat
- Mid back design and extra thick, contoured cushions.
- Air suspension system.
- Easy-to-reach seat levers and controls for six way adjustments.
- Seat-mounted implement pod and STIC steer that moves with the seat.
- 76 mm (3 in) wide retractable seat belt.
- Optional heated and ventilated seats.
- Large backlit membrane switches feature LED activation indicators.
- Switches feature ISO symbols for quick function identification.
- Two position rocker switch activates the electro hydraulic park brake.
- Experience reduced vibrations from isolation cab mounts and seat air suspension.
- Maintain desired cab temperature with automatic temperature controls.
- Pressurized cab with filtered air.
- Sound level reduced to a quiet 69 dB(A).
- Convenient floor storage tray/lunch box.
- Full box-section rear frame resists torsional shock and twisting forces.
- Heavy-duty steering cylinder mounts efficiently transmit steering loads into the frame.
- Axle mounting has been optimized for increased structural integrity.
- Excellent visibility to the bucket edges and work area through a Z-bar design.
- High load stresses are absorbed by the solid steel lift arms.
- Enhance strength in key pin areas through the use of one piece castings.
- Stress relieved lift arms increase durability and lengthen time to repair.
Cat C27 ACERT Engine
- Fully integrated electronic engine controls works in concert with the entire machine to make your fuel go farther.
- Use less fuel idling with Engine Idle Shutdown.
- Maximized durability with Delayed Engine Shutdown.
Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission
Impeller Clutch Torque Converter (ICTC)
- Reduced tire wear
- Enables full throttle shifts for faster cycle times
- Provides smooth approach to the dump target for less spillage and faster cycle times.
Cat Torque Converter with Lock-up Clutch
- Eliminates TC losses while lowering system heat
- Improves travel speeds
- Reduces cycle times in load and carry operations
The 990K systems work hard to save you fuel through advanced technologies. Utilizing On Demand Throttle, operators maintain normal operation with the left pedal and implements while the 990K manages the engine speed.
- Provides similar control and feel to our traditional throttle lock feature.
- Efficiency of manual throttle and the ergonomics of throttle lock.
- Intuitive operation and easy navigation with our enhanced user interface.
- Decrease service time by keeping operators informed about machine systems.
- Quick on-the-go weighing with the Cat Production Measurement.
Cat Product Link™
- Remote access to information through the easy-to-use VisionLink® interface.
- Maximize uptime by staying informed on machine systems and diagnostic codes.
- Track machine with utilization, fuel usage, and payload summaries.
- Stay up to date on machine location, service meter hours, and reporting status.
Vital Information Management System (VIMS™)
- Create productivity reports with payload and work cycle segmentation.
- Identify operator training needs through productivity data.
- Detailed data logging of machine parameters and diagnostic codes.
- Track machine sensor information with trend analysis and histograms to monitor machine health.
- Safe and convenient service with ground level or platform access and grouped service points.
- Swing-out doors on both sides of the engine compartment provide easy access to important daily service checks.
- Ecology drains for ease of service and prevention of spills.
- Reduce downtime with VIMS system notifications so your operators and technicians can resolve any problems before failure.
- Ground level access to transmission control valves.
Legendary Cat Dealer Support
- Preventive maintenance programs and guaranteed maintenance contracts.
- Best-in-class parts availability.
- Improve your efficiency with operator training.
- Genuine Cat Remanufactured parts.
- Left and right hand stairs with 45 degree angle enhance safety for operators getting on and off the 990K.
- Continuous walkway with non-skid surfaces are designed into the service areas.
- Maintain three points of contact at all times through ground level or platform accessible service areas.
- Optional heated mirrors ensure enhanced visibility for safe operation.
- Standard Cat Vision or optional Cat Detect with radar increase operator awareness around the machine.
- Optional HID or LED lights provide excellent workspace visibility.
- Optional cab mounted LED warning beacons.
- Reduced vibrations to the operator with isolated cab mounts and seat mounted implement and steering controls.
- Low interior sound levels.
- Pressurized cab with filtered air.
- Conveniently train other operators in comfort with our standard training seat.
- Standard 76 mm (3 in) seat belts on the operator seat and the standard trainer seat.
- Engine Idle Shutdown can help you save fuel by avoiding unnecessary idling.
- The 990K is built for multiple lives. To assist with maximizing machine life, Caterpillar provides a number of sustainable options such as our Reman and Certified Rebuild programs. In these programs, reused or remanufactured components can deliver cost savings of 40 to 70 percent, which lowers operating cost.
- Caterpillar offers retrofit packages to bring new features to older machines, maximizing your resource. And, when you go through the Cat Certified Rebuild program, these retrofit kits are part of the rebuild process.
Performance Series Buckets
General Purpose Bucket
- Sidebar protectors.
- General duty and penetration tips.
- Standard and half arrow segments.
- Performance Series Buckets – Deliver faster fill times and better material retention, ultimately reducing cycle times while improving productivity and fuel efficiency.
- Positive Flow Control Hydraulics – Provides only the hydraulic flow required by the implement systems for improved fuel efficiency and greater rimpull.
- ACERT Engine – Advanced engine controls maximizes power and efficiency.
- Economy Mode – Featuring On Demand Throttle, Economy Mode optimizes power for maximum fuel savings with minimal impact on production.
- Engine Idle Shutdown – Automatic engine and electrical system shutdown conserves fuel.
- Lock up Torque Converter – Transfers more power to the ground and optimizes fuel efficiency in all applications.
- Machine Configuration – Select the correct work tool and tire type based on machine application. Ensure proper inflation pressures. Utilize the Economy Mode setting for maximum efficiency.
- Job Site Layout – Spot loading targets in the right position. Avoid traveling more than 1.5 tire revolutions during truck loading cycles. Reduce transport distance for load and carry cycles by optimizing job site layout.
- Loading Bucket – Load in first gear. Raise and tilt bucket quickly and do not use a "pumping" motion. Avoid lift lever detent and use impeller clutch.
- Loading Truck or Hopper – Do not raise the work tool any higher than necessary. Keep engine rpm low and unload in controlled manner.
- Idle – Set the parking brake to engage Engine Idle Management System.
- Air conditioner and heater with automatic temperature control
- Cab, sound-suppressed pressurized, protective structure (ROPS/FOPS), radio ready for (entertainment) includes antenna, speakers and converter (12V, 10-15 amp)
- 12V power port for mobile phone or laptop connection
- Camera, rear vision
- Cigar lighter and ashtray
- Coat hook
- Electro-hydraulic tilt and lift controls (seat mounted)
- Flip-up armrest
- Heater and defroster
- Horn, electric
- Implement hydraulic lockout
- Instrumentation, gauges:
– Engine coolant temperature
– Fuel level
– Ground speed
– Hydraulic oil temperature
– Torque converter temperature
- Instrumentation, warning indicators:
– Action alert system, three category
– Automatic transmission model enable status
– Brake malfunction
– Bucket float status
– Delayed engine shutdown status
– Engine idle shutdown status
– Engine malfunction
– Fuel economy mode enable status
– Hydraulic lockout
– Lockup clutch enable status
– Low fuel level
– Parking brake status
– Rimpull control enable status
– Seatbelt warning
– Secondary steering (if equipped)
– Throttle lock status
– Transmission gear
- Keypad, control with indicator lights:
– Auto trans mode speed range
– Auto/manual transmission mode
– Fuel economy mode
– Implement kickout
– Lockup clutch
– Reduced rimpull
– Throttle lock
- Light, dome (cab)
- Lunchbox and beverage holders
- Mirrors, rearview (externally mounted)
- Seat, Cat comfort (cloth) air suspension
- Seat belt, retractable, 76 mm (3 in) wide
- STIC control system with steering lock
- Tinted glass
- Trainer seat with lap belt
- Vital Information Management System (VIMS) 3G with graphical information display: external data port, customizable operator profiles, cycle timer, and integral Cat Production Measurement
– Wet-arm wipers/washers (front, rear and corner) intermittent front wiper
- Brakes, full hydraulic, enclosed, oil-disc
- Axle-shaft oil-disc service brake
- Electro hydraulic parking brake
- Case drain filters
- Cat clean emission module (Tier 4 only)
- Demand fan
- Engine Cat C27 ACERT
- Fuel priming pump (electric)
- Ground level engine shutoff, bumper
- Mufflers (under hood) (Tier 2 equivalent only)
- Precleaner, engine air intake
- Radiator, Aluminum Modular (AMR)
- Separated cooling system
- Starting aid, (ether) manual override
- Throttle Lock
- Torque Converter, Impeller Clutch with lock-up clutch feature and rimpull control system
- Transmission, 534 mm (21 in) planetary power shift (electronic) (3F/3R)
- Alarm, back-up
- Alternator, 150 amp
- Batteries, maintenance free (2 – 1,400 CCA)
- Converter, 10/15 amp, 24V to 12V
- Deutsch component connectors
- Electrical system, 24V
- Electronic transmission control
- Lighting system, halogen (front and rear) lighting, access stairway, engine compartment
- Starter, electric
- Starter lockout in bumper
- Starting receptacle for emergency start
- Transmission lockout in bumper
- Automatic bucket tilt/lift kickouts electronically adjustable from cab
- Axle temperature sensor
- Battery disconnect and jump start receptacle, bumper
- Coupling, Caterpillar O-ring face seals
- Economy mode with on demand throttle
- Emergency platform egress
- Engine, crankcase, 500 hour interval with CH4
- Engine idle management features:
– Auto idle kickdown
– Delayed engine shutdown
– Engine idle shutdown
- Fenders, steel (front)
- Guards, crankcase and power train
- Grouped/labeled lube points
- Hitch, drawbar with pin
- Hoses, Cat XT™
- Oil sampling valves
- Positive flow control hydraulic system
- Product Link
- Sight Gauges: hydraulic tanks, steering/fan and implement/brake, and transmission
- Stairway, left and right rear access
- Steering, load sensing
- Toe kicks
- Vandalism protection caplocks
- Venturi stack
- Premixed 50% concentration of extended life coolant with freeze protection to –34° C (–29° F)
- –50° C (–58° F) antifreeze
- Engine oil change system, high speed, Wiggins
- Engine block heater 120V or 240V
- High ambient cooling – software
- Cab precleaner
- AM/FM/CD/MP3 radio
- Satellite Sirius radio with Bluetooth
- LED warning strobe
- CB radio ready
- Window sun shade
- Front and rear roading fenders
- Fast fill fuel system (Shaw-Aero)
- Axle oscillation stop
- Heavy duty cab mounts
865-595-1060 or 865-599-8225