988K STEEL MILL ARRANGEMENT
Cat Large Wheel Loaders are designed with durability built in, ensuring maximum availability through multiple life cycles. With optimized performance and simplified serviceability, our machines allow you to move more material efficiently and safely at a lower cost per ton. Introduced in 1963, the 988 has been the industry leader for 50 years. Focused on helping our customers succeed, we have continued to build upon each new series. The 988K continues our legacy of reliability, performance, safety, operator comfort, serviceability, and efficiency.
Cat C18 ACERT Engine
- Fully integrated electronic engine controls works in concert with the entire machine to make your fuel go farther.
- Use less fuel idling with Engine Idle Shutdown.
- Maximized durability with Delayed Engine Shutdown.
Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission
Impeller Clutch Torque Converter (ICTC)
- Reduced tire wear.
- Enables full throttle shifts for faster cycle times.
- Provides smooth approach to the dump target for less spillage and faster cycle times.
Cat Torque Converter with Lock-up Clutch
- Eliminates TC losses while lowering system heat.
- Improves travel speeds.
- Reduces cycle times in load and carry operations.
- Provides similar control and feel to our traditional throttle lock feature.
- Efficiency of manual throttle and the ergonomics of throttle lock.
- Reduced fuel consumption by up to 20% compared to the 988H.
- Full box-section rear frame resists torsional shock and twisting forces.
- Heavy-duty steering cylinder mounts efficiently transmit steering loads into the frame.
- Axle mounting has been optimized for increased structural integrity.
- Lower hitch pin, frame plate, and bearing size have been increased for longer life.
- Excellent visibility to the bucket edges and work area through a Z-bar design.
- High load stresses are absorbed by the solid steel lift arms.
- Enhance strength in key pin areas through the use of one piece castings.
- Stress relieved lift arms increase durability and lengthen time to repair.
Steering and Transmission Integrated Control System (STIC™)
- Simple side-to-side motion turns machine right or left, minimizing operator movements.
- Easy to operate finger controlled gear selection.
- Smoother, faster cycles and help reduce operator fatigue through the use of low effort integrated controls.
Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission
- Consistent, smooth shifting and efficiency through integrated electronic controls that utilize Advanced Productivity Electronic Control Strategy (APECS).
- Long life and reliability through heat treat gear and metallurgy.
- Four forward and three reverse speeds to match your application.
Cat C18 ACERT Engine
- Optimized performance and quick engine response with an electronic control module.
- Reliable efficiency with complete control over injection timing, duration and pressure with Mechanically Actuated Electronic Unit Injection (MEUI™).
- Extended engine life and improved fuel efficiency with reduced rated speed.
- Designed to meet U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final/EU Stage IV, Tier 2 Equivalent emission standards.
Impeller Clutch Torque Converter (ICTC) and Rimpull Control System (RCS)
- Reduce tire slippage and wear by modulating rimpull from 100 to 25 percent while depressing left pedal. After 25 percent rimpull is achieved the left pedal applies the brake.
- Reduce the potential for wheel slippage without reducing hydraulic efficiency with RCS.
- Improve fuel efficiency in certain applications with our lock-up clutch torque converter providing direct drive.
Positive Flow Control Hydraulics
- Fast, productive cycles are enabled by the fully variable implement pump.
- Increase bucket feel and control through increased hydraulic response.
- Consistent performance and efficiency with lower system heat.
- Full hydraulic flow down to 1,400 engine rpm enabled by flow sharing technology.
Electro Hydraulic Controls
- Operate comfortably through electronically controlled hydraulic cylinder stops.
- Handle easy-to-use soft detent controls.
- Conveniently set automatic implement kickouts from inside the cab.
- Increase efficiency with our variable displacement piston pumps.
- Achieve precise positioning for easy loading in tight areas with 43 degrees of steering articulation.
- Enhance operator comfort with integrated steering and transmission control functions.
- Case drain screens.
- Hydraulic oil cooler return filter.
- Pilot filter.
- Return screens inside hydraulic tank.
- Axle oil cooler screens if equipped.
Entry and Exit
- Fold up STIC steer/armrest.
- Reduced access stairway angles.
- Standard stairway lighting.
Cat Comfort Series III Seat
- Mid back design and extra thick, contoured cushions.
- Air suspension system.
- Easy-to-reach seat levers and controls for six way adjustments.
- Seat-mounted implement pod and STIC steer that moves with the seat.
- 76 mm (3 in) wide retractable seat belt.
- Large backlit membrane switches feature LED activation indicators.
- Switches feature ISO symbols for quick function identification.
- Two position rocker switch activates the electro hydraulic park brake.
- Experience reduced vibrations from isolation cab mounts and seat air suspension.
- Maintain desired cab temperature with automatic temperature controls.
- Pressurized cab with filtered air.
- Sound level reduced to a quiet 71 dB(A).
- Convenient floor storage tray/lunch box.
Cat Product Link™
- Easy-to-view graphical information display features a large touch screen interface.
- Intuitive operation and easy navigation with our enhanced user interface.
- Decrease service time by keeping operators informed about machine system malfunction or operation.
Payload Control System
- Quick payload measurement with on-the-go weighing.
- Comprehensive record accuracy of machine performance.
- Optional printer available for cab.
- Production Summary
- Machine Utilization
- Productive Cycle Time
- Loader Payload Summary
- Fuel Usage Summary
We can help you succeed by ensuring your 988K has design features to reduce your downtime.
- Safe and convenient service with ground level or platform access and grouped service points.
- Swing-out doors on both sides of the engine compartment provide easy access to important daily service checks.
- Ecology drains for ease of service and prevention of spilling potential environmental contaminants.
- Reduce downtime with VIMS system notifications so your operators and technicians can resolve any problems before failure.
- Ground level access to transmission control valves.
Legendary Cat Dealer Support
- Preventive maintenance programs and guaranteed maintenance contracts.
- Best-in-class parts availability.
- Improve your efficiency with operator training.
- Genuine Cat Remanufactured parts.
- Left and right hand stairs with 45 degree angle enhance safety for operators getting on and off the 988K.
- Continuous walkway with non-skid surfaces are designed into the service areas.
- Maintain three points of contact at all times through ground level or platform accessible service areas.
- Optional heated mirrors ensure enhanced visibility for safe operation.
- Standard Cat Vision or optional Cat Detect with radar increase operator awareness around the machine.
- Optional HID or LED lights provide excellent workspace visibility.
- Optional cab mounted LED warning beacons.
- Reduced vibrations to the operator with isolated cab mounts and seat mounted implement and steering controls.
- Low interior sound levels.
- Pressurized cab with filtered air.
- Standard 76 mm (3 in) seat belts on the operator seat.
- Double thickness fuel tank walls.
- Silicone axle seals for extreme temperature operation.
- Machine electronic control modules located in the cab safe from heat and dust.
- Reduced rear axle oscillation for tire chain compatibility.
- Flame resistant EcoSafe hydraulic fluid available as an option.
Operator Station and Machine Access
- Cab glass mounted in rubber seals for easy replacement.
- Metal backed side mirrors to hold up to high temperatures.
- Steel cab roof and floor for protection on the top and bottom.
- Reinforced platform ready for heavy fire suppression tanks.
- Damage resistant solid steel rear access steps.
- Swing open radiator for easy cleaning.
- Six fins per inch radiator to keep material from building up.
- Auto-reversing fan to help keep cooling efficiency high.
- Easy access to cooling cores through hinged side doors with perforated screens.
- Exposed wiring and hoses are covered with heat resistant wrapping.
- Steel guard to protect the tilt cylinder rod from falling debris.
- Electro hydraulic parking brake override system.
- Transmission override system for redundancy.
- Sealed cover for Diesel Exhaust Fluid fill (Tier 4).
Performance Series Buckets
Serrated Edge Slag Bucket
Straight Edge Slag Bucket
- Thicker shell and base edge.
- Full width rear edge for extra strength.
- Performance Series Buckets - Deliver faster fill times and better material retention, ultimately reducing cycle times while improving productivity and fuel efficiency.
- Positive Flow Control Hydraulics - Provides only the hydraulic flow required by the implement and steering systems for improved fuel efficiency and greater rimpull.
- ACERT Engine - Advanced engine controls maximizes power and efficiency.
- Economy Mode - Featuring On Demand Throttle, Economy Mode optimizes power for maximum fuel savings with minimal impact on production.
- Engine Idle Shutdown - Automatic engine and electrical system shutdown conserves fuel.
- Lock up Torque Converter - Transfers more power to the ground and optimizes fuel efficiency in all applications.
- Advanced Productivity Electronic Control Strategy (APECS) - All new APECS transmission controls provides greater momentum on grades and fuel savings by carrying that momentum through the shift points.
- Machine Configuration - Select the correct work tool and tire type based on machine application. Ensure proper inflation pressures. Utilize the Economy Mode setting for maximum efficiency.
- Job Site Layout - Spot loading targets in the right position. Avoid traveling more than 1.5 tire revolutions during truck loading cycles. Reduce transport distance for load and carry cycles by optimizing job site layout.
- Loading Bucket - Load in first gear. Raise and tilt bucket quickly and do not use a “pumping” motion. Avoid lift lever detent and use impeller clutch.
- Loading Truck or Hopper - Do not raise the work tool any higher than necessary. Keep engine rpm low and unload in controlled manner.
- Idle - Set the parking brake to engage Engine Idle Management System.
- Alarm, back-up
- Alternator, single 150 amp
- Batteries, dry
- Converter, 10/15 amp, 24V to 12V
- Lighting system (halogen, work lights, access and service platform lighting)
- Starting and charging system, 24V
- Starter emergency start receptacle
- Starter lockout
- Transmission lockout
- Graphical Information Display, displays real time operating information, performs calibrations and customizes operator settings
- Air conditioner
- Cat Detect Vision, rear vision camera system
- Cab, sound suppressed and pressurized, integrated rollover protective structure (ROPS/FOPS) radio ready for entertainment, includes antenna, speakers and converter (12-volt 5-amp) and power port
- Controls, lift and tilt function
- Heater, defroster
- Horn, electric
- Instrumentation, gauges: - Coolant temperature - Engine hour meter - Hydraulic oil temperature - Power train oil temperature
- Light, cab, dome
- Lunchbox, beverage holders
- Mirrors, rearview (externally mounted)
- Rimpull Control System
- Seat, Cat Comfort (cloth), air suspension, six-way adjustable
- Seat belt, retractable, 76 mm (3 in) wide
- STIC Control System
- UV glass
- Transmission gear indicator
- Vital Information Management System (VIMS) with Graphical Information Display: External Data Port, Customizable Operator Profiles, Cycle Timer, Integrated Payload Control System
- Wet-Arm wipers/washers (front and rear): - Intermittent front and rear wipers
- Lights, directional
- Brakes, oil-cooled, multi-disc, service/secondary
- Case drain screens
- Crankcase guard
- Electro hydraulic parking brake
- Engine, C18 MEUI diesel, turbocharged/aftercooled
- Ground level engine shutoff
- Turbine precleaner, engine air intake
- Radiator, Next Generation Modular (NGMR)
- Starting aid, ether, automatic
- Throttle lock, electronic
- Torque converter, Impeller Clutch (ICTC) with Lock up clutch (LUC), Rimpull Control System
- Transmission, planetary powershift, 4F/3R electronic control
- Automatic bucket lift kickout/positioner
- Base machine price includes a rim allowance
- Hydraulically driven demand fan
- Couplings, Cat O-ring face seals
- Doors, service access (locking)
- Ecology drains for engine, radiator, hydraulic tank
- Fuel tank, 731 L (188 gal)
- Hitch, drawbar with pin
- Hoses, Cat XT
- Hydraulic, steering and brake filtration/screening system
- Cat Clean Emission Module
- Oil sampling valves
- Premixed 50% concentration of extended life coolant with freeze protection to -34° C (-29° F)
- Rear access to cab and service platform
- Steering, load sensing
- Toe kicks
- Vandalism protection caplocks
- 50° C (-58° F) antifreeze
- Engine oil change system, high speed, Wiggins
- Engine block heater 120V or 240V
- High ambient cooling - software
- Payload Control System (PCS)
- Cab precleaner
- AM/FM/CD/MP3 radio
- Satellite Sirius radio with bluetooth
- LED warning strobe
- CB radio ready
- Window pull down visor
- Front and rear roading fenders
865-595-1060 or 865-599-8225