Cat Landfill Compactors are designed with durability built in, ensuring maximum availability through multiple life cycles. With optimized performance and simplified serviceability, our machines allow you to operate more efficiently and safely. Introduced in 1993, the 836 has been the industry leader for over 20 years. Focused on helping our customers succeed, we have continued to build upon each new series. The 836K continues our legacy of reliability, performance, safety, operator comfort, serviceability, and efficiency.
Impeller Clutch Torque Converter (ICTC)
- Reduce wheel slippage and tip wear by modulating rimpull from 100 to 20 percent while depressing left pedal. After 20 percent rimpull is achieved the left pedal applies the brake.
- Reduce the potential for wheel slippage without reducing hydraulic efficiency.
- Improve fuel efficiency in certain applications with our lock-up clutch torque converter providing direct drive.
Steering and Transmission Integrated Control System (STIC™)
- Simple side-to-side motion turns machine right or left, minimizing operator movements.
- Easy to operate finger controlled gear selection.
- Smoother, faster cycles help reduce operator fatigue through the use of low effort integrated controls.
- Increase efficiency with our variable displacement piston pumps.
- Achieve precise positioning for easy steering in tight areas with 43 degrees each way of steering articulation.
- Enhance operator comfort with integrated steering and transmission control functions.
Electro Hydraulic Controls
- Operate comfortably through electronically controlled hydraulic cylinder stops.
- Handle easy-to-use soft detent controls.
- Conveniently set automatic implement kickouts from inside the cab.
Improved Hydraulic Efficiency
- Full box-section rear frame resists torsional shock and twisting forces.
- Heavy-duty steering cylinder mounts efficiently transmit steering loads into the frame.
- Axle mounting has been optimized for increased structural integrity.
- Lower hitch pin, frame plate, and bearing size have been increased for longer life.
Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission
- Consistent, smooth shifting and efficiency through integrated electronic controls that utilize Advanced Productivity Electronic Control Strategy (APECS).
- Long life and reliability through heat treat gear and metallurgy.
- Two forward and two reverse speeds to match your application.
Cat C18 ACERT Engine
- Fully integrated electronic engine controls works in concert with the entire machine to make your fuel go farther.
- Use less fuel idling with Engine Idle Shutdown.
- Maximized durability with Delayed Engine Shutdown.
Cat Torque Converter with Lock-up Clutch
- Eliminates TC losses while lowering system heat.
- Improves travel speeds.
- Transfers more power to the ground and optimizes fuel efficiency in all applications.
Entry and Exit
- Fold up STIC steer/armrest.
- Reduced access stairway angles.
- Standard stairway lighting.
Cat Comfort Series III Seat
- Mid back design and extra thick, contoured cushions.
- Air suspension system.
- Easy-to-reach seat levers and controls for six way adjustments.
- Seat-mounted implement pod and STIC steer that moves with the seat.
- 76 mm (3 in) wide retractable seat belt.
- Large backlit membrane switches feature LED activation indicators.
- Switches feature ISO symbols for quick function identification.
- Two position rocker switch activates the electro hydraulic park brake.
- Experience reduced vibrations from isolation cab mounts and seat air suspension.
- Maintain desired cab temperature with automatic temperature controls.
- Pressurized cab with filtered air.
- Reduced sound levels.
- Convenient floor storage tray/lunch box.
Rear Vision Camera
AccuGrade™ Compaction Control
We can help you succeed by ensuring your 836K has design features to reduce your downtime.
- Ground level swing-out reversing fan for quick inspection and easy cleanout.
- Safe and convenient service with ground level or platform access and grouped service points.
- Swing-out doors on both sides of the engine compartment provide easy access to important daily service checks.
- Ecology drains for ease of service and prevention of spills.
- Reduce downtime with VIMS system notifications so your operators and technicians can resolve any problems before failure.
- Quick visual inspection and minimize fluid contamination with sight gauges.
- Pressurized, temperature controlled engine compartment prevents small debris from entering and prevents extreme temperatures.
Legendary Cat Dealer Support
- Preventive maintenance programs and guaranteed maintenance contracts.
- Best-in-class parts availability.
- Improve your efficiency with operator training.
- Genuine Cat Remanufactured parts.
- Left and right hand removable or optional swing-out stairs with 45 degree angle enhance safety for operators getting on and off the 836K.
- Continuous walkway with non-skid surfaces are designed into the service areas.
- Maintain three points of contact at all times through ground level or platform accessible service areas.
- Optional heated mirrors ensure enhanced visibility for safe operation.
- Standard Cat Vision with in-cab monitor increase operator awareness around the machine.
- Optional LED lights provide excellent workspace visibility.
- Optional cab mounted LED warning beacons.
- Reduced vibrations to the operator with isolated cab mounts and seat mounted implement and steering controls.
- Low interior sound levels.
- Pressurized cab with filtered air.
- Standard 76 mm (3 in) seat belts on the operator seat.
Protecting the Environment
- Burns less fuel than the previous model.
- Engine Idle Shutdown can help you save fuel by avoiding unnecessary idling.
- Built for multiple lives, the Cat 836K is one of the most rebuilt products. To assist with maximizing machine life, Caterpillar provides a number of sustainable options such as our Reman and Certified Rebuild programs. In these programs, reused or remanufactured components can deliver cost savings of 40 to 70 percent, which lowers operating cost while benefiting the environment.
- Caterpillar offers retrofit packages to bring new features to older machines, maximizing your resource. And, when you go through the Cat Certified Rebuild program, these retrofit kits are part of the rebuild process.
- Engine and Power Train Guards – Hydraulically actuated guards help prevent trash build-up and shield components.
- Front Frame Guards – Front frame guards prevent trash build-up inside the frame. This guard further protects components and hydraulic lines.
- Axle Wrapping and Seal Guarding – The guarding prevents material from wrapping and binding around the axles, as well as assist in ease of cleaning.
- Major System Guarding and Sight Gauges – The hydraulic tank, the hydraulic system oil tube, and transmission oil tube are guarded to resist damage from debris. The sight gauges for the hydraulic and transmission are easily visible from ground level. The fuel tank is positioned away from the debris in the front frame and is easily accessed.
- Air Inlet Screen – The vertically corrugated, fine mesh, air inlet screen helps reduce trash from entering the radiator area and allows for debris to fall off.
- Striker Bars and Optional Cleaner Fingers – Striker bars are located in front of and behind the rear wheels and behind the front wheels. Striker bars help to keep wheels free of debris to assist the wheel step tips in maintaining good traction. In cohesive material or severe packing conditions, optional cleaner fingers are available to further assist in keeping the wheel step tips clean.
- Extended Roof – An oversized roof extends past the cab doors and windows to minimize debris build up.
New Long Life Paddle and Plus Design Compactor Tips
- Longer wear life
- Maintaining traction
- Positive Flow Control Hydraulics – Provides only the hydraulic flow required by the implement and steering systems for improved fuel efficiency and greater rimpull.
- ACERT Engine – Advanced engine controls maximizes power and efficiency.
- Engine Idle Shutdown – Automatic engine and electrical system shutdown conserves fuel.
- Lockup Torque Converter – Transfers more power to the ground and optimizes fuel efficiency in all applications.
- Advanced Productivity Electronic Control Strategy (APECS) – All new APECS transmission controls provides greater momentum on grades and fuel savings by carrying that momentum through the shift points.
- AccuGrade Compaction Control uses the Cat Compaction – Algorithm to help you consistently meet compaction targets fast, uniformly, in fewer passes – saving on fuel and rework.
- Machine Configuration – Select the correct blade and wheel configuration based on your individual application.
- Advanced Productivity Electronic Control Shifting (APECS)
- Air to air aftercooler
- Brakes, fully hydraulic, enclosed, wet multiple disc brakes
- Cat Clean Emission Module, insulated (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV/Korea Tier 4 Final)
- Electro hydraulic parking brake
- Engine, Cat C18 with ACERT Technology: – Tier 4 Final/Stage IV/Korea Tier 4 Final – Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent
- Fuel priming pump, electric
- Fuel to air cooler
- Ground level engine shutoff
- Guard (3 piece) transmission
- Heat shield, turbo and exhaust manifold
- Hydraulically driven demand fan
- Integrated braking
- Radiator, Aluminum Modular Radiator (AMR)
- Separated cooling system
- Starting aid (ether) automatic
- Throttle lock
- Torque converter with lockup clutch (LUC)
- Turbine precleaner, engine air intake
- Transmission, planetary, with 2F/2R speed range control
- Underhood ventilation system
- Alarm, back-up
- Alternator, 150 amp
- Batteries, maintenance-free (4-1,000 CCA)
- Converter, 10-15 amp, 24V to 12V
- Lighting system, halogen (front and rear)
- Lighting, access stairway
- Starter, electric (heavy duty)
- Starter lockout (ground level)
- Starting receptacle for emergency start
- Transmission lockout (ground level)
- Air conditioner
- Cab, sound-suppressed and pressurized
- Internal four-post rollover protective structure (ROPS/FOPS)
- Radio ready for (entertainment) includes antenna, speakers and converter (12V, 10-15 amp) 12V power port for mobile phone or laptop connection
- Camera, rear vision
- Coat and hard hat hooks
- Flip-up armrest
- Heater and defroster
- Horn, electric
- Hydraulic controls (floor mounted)
- Implement hydraulic lockout
- Laminated glass
- Light, (dome) cab
- Lunchbox and beverage holders
- Instrumentation, Gauges: – DEF fluid level (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV) – Hydraulic oil temperature – Speedometer/tachometer – Torque converter temperature
- Instrumentation, Warning Indicators: – Action alert system, three category – Axle/brake oil temp, front – Brake oil pressure – Electrical system, low voltage – Engine failure malfunction alert and action lamp
- Mirrors, rearview (externally mounted)
- Parking brake status
- Radio, CB (ready)
- Seat, Cat Comfort, (cloth) air suspension
- Seat belt, retractable, 76 mm (3") wide
- STIC Control System with steering lock
- Sun visor, front
- Tinted glass
- Transmission gear (indicator)
- Vital Information Management System (VIMS) with graphical information display: external data port, customizable operator profiles
- Wet-arm wipers/washers (front and rear)
- Intermittent wipers (front and rear)
- Wheels, paddle, plus, combination, and diamond wheel configurations
- Guards, axle (front and rear)
- Guards, cab window
- Guards, crankcase and power train, hydraulically powered
- Guards, rear fan and grill
- Bulldozer arrangement is included in the standard equipment. Bulldozer blades are optional.
- Antifreeze, premixed 50% concentration of extended life coolant with freeze protection to –34° C (–29° F)
- Auto Blade Positioner (ABP)
- Demand fan/swing out (hydraulic reversible)
- Doors, service access locking
- Ecology drains for engine, radiator, hydraulic tank
- Electronic clutch pressure control and remote mounted pressure taps
- Emergency platform egress
- Engine, crankcase, 250 hour interval with CJ-4 oil
- Fuel tank, 793 L (210 gal)
- Hitch, drawbar with pin
- Hoses, Cat XT™
- Hydraulic oil cooler
- Hydraulic, steering and brake filtration/screening system
- Oil sampling valves
- Product Link
- Stairways, fixed-L/R (rear access)
- Steering, load sensing
- Vandalism protection caplocks
- Venturi stack
- Straight blade
- Semi U-blade
865-595-1060 or 865-599-8225