Cat Landfill Compactors are designed with durability built in, ensuring maximum availability through multiple life cycles. With optimized performance and simplified serviceability, our machines allow you to operate more efficiently and safely. Introduced in 1972, the 816 has been the industry leader for over 40 years. Focused on helping our customers succeed, we have continued to build upon each new series. The 816K continues our legacy of reliability, performance, safety, operator comfort, serviceability, and efficiency.
Advanced Productivity Electronic Control System (APECS)
- Increase efficiency with our variable displacement piston pumps
- Achieve precise positioning for easy loading in tight areas with 42 degrees each way of steering articulation
- Enhance operator comfort with integrated steering and transmission control functions
Electro Hydraulic Controls
- Operate comfortably through electronically controlled hydraulic cylinder stops
- Handle easy-to-use soft detent controls
- Full box-section rear frame resists torsional shock and twisting forces
- Heavy-duty steering cylinder mounts efficiently transmit steering loads into the frame
- Axle mounting has been optimized for increased structural integrity
Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission
- Consistent, smooth shifting and efficiency through integrated electronic controls that utilize Advanced Productivity Electronic Control System (APECS).
- Long life and reliability through heat treat gear and metallurgy.
- Two forward and two reverse speeds.
Engine and Emissions
Efficient Systems and Components
Advanced Systems with Innovative Integration
Next Generation Fuel Systems
Cat NOx Reduction System
New Long Life Paddle and Plus Design Compactor Tips
- Longer wear life
- Maintaining traction
- Experience reduced vibrations from isolation cab mounts and seat air suspension
- Maintain desired cab temperature with automatic temperature controls
- Pressurized cab with filtered air
- Reduced sound levels
- Convenient floor storage tray/lunch box
- Footrest for additional comfort
Cat Comfort Series III Seat
- Mid back design and extra thick, contoured cushions
- Air suspension system
- Easy-to-reach seat levers and controls for six way adjustments
- Floor-mounted implement pod and STIC™ steer provides greater stability
- 76 mm (3 in) wide retractable seat belt
- Large backlit membrane switches feature LED activation indicators
- Switches feature ISO symbols for quick function identification
- Two position rocker switch activates the electro hydraulic park brake
Steering and Transmission Integrated Control System (STIC)
- Simple side-to-side motion turns machine right or left, minimizing operator movements
- Easy to operate finger controlled gear selection
- Smoother, faster cycles help reduce operator fatigue through the use of low effort integrated controls
Rear Vision Camera
Cat Compaction Control
- Engine and Power Train Guards – Guards help prevent trash build-up and shield components.
- Front Frame Guards – Front frame guards prevent trash build-up inside the frame. This guard further protects components and hydraulic lines.
- Axle Wrapping and Seal Guarding – The guarding prevents material from wrapping and binding around the axles, as well as assist in ease of cleaning.
- Major System Guarding and Sight Gauges – Transmission oil tube is guarded to resist damage from debris. The sight gauge for the transmission is visible from ground level. The fuel tank is positioned away from the debris in the front frame and is easily accessed.
- High Radiator Air Inlet with Screen – Helps prevent trash from entering the radiator area, maintaining proper airflow and allows for debris to fall off.
- Striker Bars and Optional Cleaner Fingers – Striker bars are located in front of and behind the rear wheels and behind the front wheels. Striker bars help to keep wheels free of debris to assist the wheel tips in maintaining good compaction. In cohesive material or severe packing conditions, optional cleaner fingers are available to further assist in keeping the wheel tips clean.
- Extended Roof – An oversized roof extends past the cab doors and windows to minimize debris build up.
- Suction Fan – Allows ambient air to cool, providing better cooling capacity. It also pressurizes the engine compartment, preventing trash build up.
- Railings, ladders and non-slip surfaces enhance technician and operator safety
- Maintain three points of contact at all times through ground level or platform accessible service areas
- Rearview camera with in-cab monitor increases operator awareness around the machine
- Standard cab mounted LED warning strobes
- Increased stability for the operator with isolated cab mounts and floor-mounted implement and steering controls
- Low interior sound levels
- Pressurized cab with filtered air
- Standard 76 mm (3 in) seat belts on the operator seat
Reducing the Impact to the Environment
- Engine Idle Shutdown can help you save fuel by avoiding unnecessary idling.
- Reduce waste to the environment with our maintenance free batteries.
- To assist with maximizing machine life, the Cat 816K is built for multiple lives and is one of our most rebuilt products. To get the most value from your investment, Caterpillar offers sustainable options such as our Cat Reman and Certified Rebuild programs. In these programs, remanufactured components deliver cost savings of 40 to 70 percent, which lowers your operating cost while also reducing waste and minimizing the need for raw materials.
- Caterpillar offers retrofit packages to bring new features to older machines, maximizing your resource. And, when you go through the Cat Certified Rebuild program, these retrofit kits are part of the rebuild process.
We can help you succeed by ensuring your 816K has design features to reduce your downtime.
- Safe and convenient service with ground level or platform access and grouped service points.
- Swing-out doors on both sides of the engine compartment provide easy access to important daily service checks.
- Ecology drains for ease of service and prevention of spills.
- Reduce downtime with VIMS system notifications so your operators and technicians can resolve any problems before failure.
- Quick visual inspection and minimize fluid contamination with sight gauges.
- Side access doors provided for cleanout of the cooling package.
- A new ground level service area includes a Master Disconnect Switch with integrated lock-out/tag-out, DEF purge lamp (TIer 4 Final/Stage IV machines only), circuit breakers, emergency fuel shutoff switch and the jump start receptacle.
- Centralized grease points for convenient maintenance.
Legendary Cat Dealer Support
- Preventive maintenance programs and guaranteed maintenance contracts
- Best-in-class parts availability
- Improve your efficiency with operator training
- Genuine Cat Remanufactured parts
- ACERT Engine – Advanced engine controls maximizes power and efficiency.
- Engine Idle Shutdown – Automatic engine and electrical system shutdown conserves fuel.
- Advanced Productivity Electronic Control System (APECS) – All new APECS transmission controls provides greater momentum on grades and fuel savings by carrying that momentum through the shift points.
- Fuel Tank Capacity minimum of 12 hours operation depending on the application.
- Advanced Productivity Electronic Control Shifting (APECS)
- Air to air aftercooler
- Brakes, full hydraulic, enclosed, wet multiple disc service brakes
- Cat clean emission module (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV only)
- Electro-hydraulic parking brake
- Electronic Clutch Pressure Control (ECPC)
- Engine, Cat C7.1 with ACERT Technology (configured for two emissions options): – Tier 4 Final/Stage IV – Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent
- Engine driven cooling fan (suction)
- Fuel priming pump (electric)
- Fuel to air cooler
- Ground level engine shutoff
- Muffler (under hood) (Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent only)
- Radiator, unit core
- Starting aid (ether)
- Throttle lock
- Transmission, planetary with 2F/2R speed range control
- Torque converter
- Alarm, back-up
- Alternator (150 amp)
- Batteries, maintenance free
- Electrical system (24 volt)
- Ground level lockable master disconnect switch
- Light, warning unswitched (LED strobe)
- Lighting system (front and rear)
- Starter, electric
- Starting receptacle for emergency start
- 12-volt power port for mobile phone or laptop connection
- AccuGrade™ mapping (ready)
- Air conditioner with roof mounted condenser
- Cab, sound-suppressed pressurized
- Camera, rear vision
- Coat and hard hat hooks
- Finger tip shifting controls
- Flip-up armrest
- Heater and defroster
- Horn, electric
- Hydraulic controls – floor mounted
- Implement hydraulic lockout
- Instrumentation, gauges: – DEF fluid level (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV only) – Engine coolant temperature – Fuel level – Hydraulic oil temperature – Speedometer/tachometer – Torque convertor temperature
- Instrumentation, warning indicators: – Action alert system, three category – Brake oil pressure – Electrical system, low voltage – Engine failure malfunction alert and action lamp – Parking brake status
- Internal four-post rollover protective structure (ROPS/FOPS)
- Light, (dome) cab
- Lunch box and beverage holders
- Mirror, internal (panoramic)
- Mirrors, rearview (externally mounted)
- Radio, CB ready
- Radio ready for entertainment: – Antenna – Speakers – Converter (12-volt 10-15 amp)
- Seat belt with minder, retractable, 76 mm (3") wide
- STIC control system with lockout
- Sun visor, front
- Tinted glass
- Transmission gear (indicator)
- Vital Information Management System (VIMS): – Graphical information display – External data port – Customizable operator profiles – Event indicator light on rear grill
- Wet-arm wipers/washers (front and rear): – Intermittent wipers (front and rear)
- Guards, axle (front and rear)
- Guard, cab window
- Guards, crankcase and power train, hinged
- Guard, driveshaft
- Guard, radiator
- Striker bars
- Antifreeze, premixed 50% concentration extended life (–34° C/–29° F)
- DEF tank fill gauge (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV only)
- Doors, service access (locking)
- Ecology drains for engine, radiator, transmission, hydraulic tank
- Engine, crankcase, 500 hour interval with CJ-4 oil
- Emergency egress
- Fire suppression ready
- Fuel tank, 500 L (132 gal)
- Hitch, drawbar with pin
- Hoses, Cat XT™
- Hydraulic, engine, and transmission oil coolers
- Oil change system, high speed
- Oil sampling valves
- Steering, load sensing
- Total hydraulic filtration system
- Vandalism protection caplocks
- Venturi stack
- Glass (window): – Standard bonded or rubber-mounted glass
- Horn group (standard)
- Horn group (trumpet)
- Lights – cab: – Standard or LED
- Mirrors – cab: – Standard or heated
- Precleaner – cab: – Standard or powered
- Seat – cab: – Standard or heated and ventilated
- Axles: – Axle arrangement (no spin front) – Axle arrangement (no spin rear) – Axle arrangement (no spin front and rear)
- Engine precleaners: – Turbine or dual stage
- Dozer Arrangement – Standard (No Blade)
- Dozer Arrangement – Straight Blade
- Dozer Arrangement – Tilt (No Blade)
- Product Link: – GSM, satellite
- Wheels and tips: – Wheel arrangement (6.25" plus tip) – Wheel arrangement (6.25" paddle tip) – Wheel arrangement (6.25" plus and paddle) – Wheels, chopper
- Bar group – cleaner (cleaner fingers and striker bar)
- Radio, AM/FM/AUX/USB/BLUETOOTH
- Antifreeze, –50° C (–58° F)
- Engine: – Sound suppression
- Heater, engine coolant, 120V
- Heater, engine coolant, 240V
- Film (ANSI) (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV only)
- EU certification (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV only)
- Plate – year of manufacture (Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent only)
865-595-1060 or 865-599-8225