The new 980M Wheel Loader has either a Tier 2/Stage II, Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent or Tier 4 Final/Stage IV, depending on emission standards of specific country, engine equipped with a combination of proven electronic, fuel, air and aftertreatment components. Applying proven technologies systematically and strategically lets us meet your high expectations for productivity and fuel efficiency. Deep system integration results in reduced emissions, improved performance and improved fuel economy without interrupting machine performance making it seamless to you. The reliability, durability, and versatility of the 980M result in a machine that is better built to meet your needs.
More Powerful, Reliable Engine Electronics
Cold Start Package
- Delivering Better Fuel Economy with minimized maintenance costs while providing the same great power and response.
- High Performance across a variety of applications.
- Enhanced Reliability through commonality and simplicity of design.
- Maximized Uptime and Reduced Cost with world-class support from the Cat dealer network.
- Minimized Impact of Emission Systems – Designed to be transparent to the operator without requiring interaction.
- Durable Designs with long life to overhaul.
Engine and Emissions
Efficient Systems and Components
Advanced Systems with Innovative Integration
Tier 4 Final/Stage IV Engines
- Next Generation Fuel Systems – Cat injection timing precisely controls the fuel injection process through a series of carefully timed microbursts, providing more control of combustion for the cleanest, most efficient fuel burn. On the 980M, the Mechanically Electronic Unit Injector (MEUI™) fuel system boosts performance and reduces soot for the C13 ACERT engine.
- Cat NOx Reduction System – The Cat NOx Reduction System (NRS) captures and cools a small quantity of exhaust gas, then routes it back into the combustion chamber where it drives down combustion temperatures and reduces NOx emissions.
- Aftertreatment Technologies – To meet the additional 80% reduction in NOx emissions required by Tier 4 Final/Stage IV emission standards, one new system, the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), has been added to the already proven Cat Tier 4 Interim/Stage IIIB aftertreatment solution.
Touch Screen Display
Electro-Hydraulic (EH) Joystick Steering with Force Feedback (Speed Sensitive)
Implement Controls (EH)
High Lift Linkage
Industrial and Waste Handler
Performance Series Buckets
- Load Easy, Fuel Efficient, Carry More – Performance Series Buckets utilize a system-based approach to balance bucket shape with the machine’s linkage, weight, lift and tilt capacities. Operators benefit from reduced dig times and better material retention; ultimately translating into significant productivity and fuel efficiency improvements.
- Lower Operating Costs – Performance Series Buckets feature a longer floor that easily digs through the pile and provides excellent visibility for the operators to see when the bucket is full. Less time digging in the pile results in lower fuel consumption and improved tire life. A unique spill guard protects the cab and linkage components from material overflow.
- Higher Productivity – Performance Series Buckets achieve higher fill factors – ranging from 100% to 115% depending on the machine application and material type. The optimized design results in unsurpassed production capabilities.
- Bucket Types – Performance Series Buckets are available for General Purpose, Material Handling, Rock, Heavy Duty Rock and Coal style buckets.
Quick Couplers and Work Tool Attachments
- Product Link is deeply integrated into your machine to take the guesswork out of equipment management.
- Easy access to timely information like machine location, hours, fuel usage, idle time and event codes via the online VisionLink user interface can help you effectively manage your fleet and lower operating cost.
Cat Production Measurement 2.0 (Optional)
- Brings payload weighing to the cab, enabling operators to weigh loads “on-the-go” during loading operations.
- Integrated Cat multi-function touchscreen display with graphical user interface is easy to understand and adds no clutter to the cab.
- Easy calibration procedure requires no special tools and reduces operational complexity.
- Low Lift Weigh and Tip-off features enable faster loading of trucks to their maximum capacity.
- VisionLink common back-office interface provides you a quick summary of loader operations, including payload productivity and efficiency.
- Optional Advanced Productivity subscription provides comprehensive actionable information to help you manage and improve the productivity and profitability of your operations.
Rear Vision Camera
- Integrated into standard display, enhances visibility behind the machine helping you work confidently.
- Optional second display can be added to provide a dedicated rear view of the job site.
Rear Object Detection (Optional)
- Integrated into touchscreen display, the radar system warns an operator of an object in critical zone while going in reverse.
- Increased awareness of the working environment enhances site safety.
Customer Support Agreements
- Cat Product Link – Cat Product Link allows remote monitoring of equipment to improve overall fleet management effectiveness. Product Link is deeply integrated into machine systems. Events and diagnostic codes, as well as hours, fuel, idle time and other detailed information are transmitted to a secure web based application, VisionLink. VisionLink includes powerful tools to convey information to users and dealers, including mapping, working and idle time, fuel level and more.
- S·O·S Services – Helps manage component life and decrease machine downtime, increasing productivity and efficiency. Regular fluid sampling can help track what is going on inside your machine. Wear related problems are predictable and easily repairable. Maintenance can be done to accommodate your schedule, resulting in increased uptime and flexibility in maintenance repairs before failure.
Cat Autolube System
- New M Series Tier 4 Final/Stage IV Engine, Hydraulics, Transmission and Ride Control – Deep system integration results in reduced emissions, more productivity, lower fuel consumption, without interrupting machine performance – making it seamless to you and your operators. Machine requires Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) and DEF.
- Optional Limited Slip Differentials – Increase traction, reduce tire scuffing compared to other traction aids, further reducing your operating costs.
- New External Caliper Disc Parking Brakes – Easily accessible for maintenance.
- Lock-up-Clutch Torque Converter and Shift Strategy – Reduced torque interruption increases driveline efficiency, conserving fuel. Auto 1-4 transmission mode keeps engine rpm low, reducing fuel consumption while delivering optimal machine performance.
- Machine Configuration – Select the correct linkage, guarding, work tool and tire type based on machine application. Radial tires are preferred; ensure proper inflation pressures. Heavier tires burn more fuel.
- Performance Series Buckets – Deliver faster fill times and better material retention, ultimately reducing cycle times while improving productivity and fuel efficiency.
Enabling Application Efficiency
- Loading Bucket – Load in first gear and keep engine rpm low. Raise and tilt bucket smoother, with Caterpillar’s multi-function capability, and do not use a “pumping” motion. Avoid lift lever detent and use of transmission neutralizer. Use programmable kick-outs and automatic cylinder snubbing during repeated cycles.
- Loading Truck or Hopper – Do not raise the work tool any higher than necessary. Keep engine rpm low and unload in controlled manner.
- Idle – Set the parking brake to engage Engine Idle Management System to conserve fuel.
- Job Site Layout – Spot loading targets in the right position. Avoid traveling more than twice the machine length during short cycle loading. Reduce transport distance for load and carry cycles by optimizing job site layout.
- Improved fuel efficiency – less fuel consumed results in lower emissions.
- Improved operator efficiency through enhanced visibility and reduced noise levels.
- Link technologies enable you to collect and analyze equipment and job site data so you can maximize productivity and reduce costs.
- Major components are rebuildable, eliminating waste and saving money by giving the machine and/or major components a second life – and even a third life.
Renowned Cat Dealer Support
- Your Cat dealer is ready to help you every step of the way. From new or used machine sales, to rental or rebuild options, your Cat dealer can provide an optimal solution to your business needs.
- Unsurpassed worldwide parts availability, trained technicians and customer support agreements maximize your machine uptime.
- Financing options are offered to meet a variety of customer needs.
- Cab, pressurized and sound suppressed (ROPS/FOPS)
- Viscous mounts
- Multi-function 18 cm (7 in) color LCD touch-screen display for rear vision camera and machine parameters.
- Electro-hydraulic controls, SAL (single axis lever) lift and tilt function
- Steering, electro-hydraulic joystick, speed sensing with force feedback
- Radio ready (entertainment) includes antenna, speakers and converter (12V, 10-amp)
- Air conditioner, heater, and defroster (auto temp and fan)
- Electro-hydraulic parking brake
- Beverage holders (2) with storage compartment for cell phone/MP3 player
- Bucket/work tool function lockout
- Coat hook (2)
- Cab air filter
- Ergonomic cab access ladders and handrails
- Horn, electric
- Light, two dome (cab)
- Mirrors, rearview external with integrated spot mirrors
- Post mounted membrane 16 switch keypad
- 3 receptacles, 12V
- Seat, Cat Comfort (cloth) air suspension
- Seat belt, 51 mm (2 in) retractable, with indicator
- Sun visor, front
- Wet-arm wipers/washers front and rear, intermittent front wiper
- Window, sliding (left and right sides)
- Cab tie-off
- With following gauges: – Speedometer/tachometer – Digital gear range indicator – Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) level – Temperature: engine coolant, hydraulic oil, transmission oil – Fuel level
- With following warning indicators: – Regeneration – Temperature: axle oil, engine intake manifold – Pressure: engine oil, fuel pressure hi/low, primary steering oil, service brake oil – Battery voltage hi/low – Engine air filter restriction – Hydraulic oil filter restriction – Hydraulic oil low – Parking brake – DEF low level – Transmission filter bypass
- Batteries (2), maintenance free 1,400 CCA
- Ignition key; start/stop switch
- Starter, electric, heavy duty
- Starting and charging system (24V)
- Lighting system: – Four halogen work lights (cab mounted) – Two halogen roading lights (with signals) – Two halogen rear vision lights (hood mounted)
- Alarm, back-up
- Alternator, 145-amp brushed
- Main disconnect switch
- Receptacle start (cables not included)
- Link technologies: Product Link
- Detect technologies: rear vision camera
- Engine, Cat C13 ACERT – meets Tier 2/Stage II, Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent or Tier 4 Final/Stage IV emission standards
- Cat Clean Emissions Module (CEM) with Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and remote Diesel Exhaust Fluid tank and pump
- Fuel priming pump (electric)
- Fuel/water separator
- Precleaner, engine air intake
- Economy mode (selectable)
- Transmission, automatic planetary power shift (4F/4R)
- Torque converter, locking clutch with free wheel stator
- Switch, transmission neutralizer lockout
- Axles, open differential, front and rear
- Axles, ecology drains
- Brakes, full hydraulic enclosed wet-disc with Integrated Braking System (IBS)
- Brake wear indicators
- Parking brake, disc and caliper
- Fan, radiator, on demand
- Linkage, Z-bar, cast crosstube/tilt levers
- Kickout, lift and tilt, automatic (adjustable in cab)
- Hydraulic system, load sensing
- Steering, load sensing
- Ride control, 2V
- Remote diagnostic pressure taps
- Hoses, Cat XT™
- Couplings, Cat O-ring face seal
- Hydraulic oil cooler (swing out)
- Oil sampling valves
- Premixed extended life coolant with freeze protection to –34° C (–29° F)
- One-piece tilting hood with side and rear doors
- Service centers (electrical and hydraulic)
- Platform, window washing
- Auto idle shutdown
- Fenders, non-metallic front with mud-flap/rear with extension
- Ecology drains for engine, transmission, and hydraulics
- Ether aid ready
- Grill, airborne debris
- Filters: fuel, engine air, engine oil, hydraulic oil, transmission
- Fuel cooler
- Grease zerks
- Hitch, drawbar with pin
- Precleaner rain cap
- Sight gauges: engine coolant, hydraulic oil, and transmission oil level
- Vandalism protection caplocks
- Door, remote opening system
- Cover, HVAC metallic
- EH controls, SAL 3rd function
- EH controls, joystick lift and tilt: – Additional integrated roller switch for 3rd function
- Filter, carbon fresh air
- Mirrors, heated rearview external with integrated spot mirrors
- Precleaner, HVAC
- Precleaner, HVAC (RESPA)
- Radio, AM/FM/USB/MP3 Bluetooth
- Radio, AM/FM/CD/USB/MP3 Bluetooth
- Radio, AM/FM/CD/USB/MP3 Bluetooth with Satellite Sirius and XM
- Radio, CB ready
- Seat, heated air suspension
- Seat belt, 76 mm (3 in) retractable, with indicator
- Steering, EH wheel with directional FNR shifter and gear selector: – Additional FNR with implement controls
- Roof, metallic
- Steering, secondary
- Sun visor, rear
- Windows, rubber mounted
- Windows, with front guard
- Windows, with heavy duty front guard
- Windows, with full guards front, rear and sides
- Four additional auxiliary halogen cab mounted work lights or
- Two additional auxiliary front HI LED and two additional auxiliary rear LED cab mounted work lights with two LED work lights in the radiator grill and LED front turn signals also includes replacement of the standard four halogen cab mounted work lights with four LED work lights (the standard offering and only roading light available is the halogen roading light)
- Warning amber strobe beacon
- Reversing strobes
- External seat belt indicator light
- Speed limiter – 20 km/h (Europe only)
- Batteries (4), maintenance free 1,400 CCA with 120V engine coolant heater
- Batteries (4), maintenance free 1,400 CCA with 240V engine coolant heater
- Payload technologies: – Advanced Productivity subscription – Cat Production Measurement 2.0 – Printer – Aggregate Autodig
- Detect technologies: – Cat Rear Object Detection
- Machine Security System
- Axles: – Limited slip differentials, front and/or rear – Axle oil cooler – Extreme temperature seals
- Heavy duty transmission
- Fan, VPF (variable pitch fan), automatic and manual control
- Radiator, high debris with wider fin spacing
- High lift
- Quick coupler ready
- Performance Series buckets
- Forks, pallet
- Forks, logging
- 3rd function with Ride Control: – Standard linkage – High lift linkage – Logger linkage
- Premixed extended life coolant with freeze protection to –50° C (–58° F)
- Cat Autolube System
- Wheel chocks
- Fenders, roading
- Guard, power train
- Oil change, high speed engine
- Fuel tank, fast fill
- Precleaner, turbine
- Precleaner, trash
- Aggregate Handler
- Industrial and Waste Handler
- Steel Mill
865-595-1060 or 865-599-8225
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST
Sign up to receive Stowers news, job openings and specials in your email inbox.
Browse used machines and equipment from Stowers Machinery, Stowers Rents and Stowers Power Systems.
CONTACT A SALES REP
Identify and contact your Stowers Machinery sales representative by entering your ZIP code.
LATEST POSTS FROM THE ONLINE COMMUNITY ...
my cat 246 was running fine when we parked it . the next day turned the key on, had buzzer, glow plu... [More]
I've got an older colleague with a 307C 2004-model excavator. He came to me asking if it's possible... [More]
please give any advice to me.. i have using caterpillar 3512 generator from last 4 months in my... [More]