The new 966M XE Wheel Loader has a Tier 4 Final/Stage IV ACERT engine equipped with a combination of proven electronic, fuel, air and aftertreatment components. Applying proven technologies systematically and strategically helps to meet customer’s high expectations for productivity and fuel efficiency. Deep system integration results in reduced emissions, improved performance and improved fuel economy without interrupting machine performance making it seamless to operators. The 966M XE Wheel Loader, with an advanced power train, has been designed to deliver superior performance and fuel efficiency while simplifying the operator’s interface and operating technique. This machine excels at truck loading. Aggregate Handler and other optional configurations are available.** ** Optional configuration and equipment may vary from region to region. Consult your Caterpillar representative for further details.
More Powerful, Reliable Engine Electronics
Cold Start Package
- High Performance across a variety of applications.
- Enhanced Reliability through commonality and simplicity of design.
- Maximized Uptime and Reduced Cost with world-class support from the Cat dealer network.
- Minimized Impact of Emission Systems – Designed to be transparent to the operator without requiring interaction.
- Durable Designs with long life to overhaul.
- Delivering Better Fuel Economy with minimized maintenance costs while providing the same great power and response.
Cat Continuously Variable Transmission
Advanced Systems with Innovative Integration
- The deep system integration of the new engine and emissions system, power train, hydraulic system and cooling system intelligently lower the average working engine speeds and reduce the overall system heat loads which result in significantly increased performance and fuel efficiency.
- The torque converter is eliminated and rated engine speed lowered.
- The machine speed can be controlled independently of the engine speed and engine retarding energy is transferred to the fan and implement pumps.
- The new 966M XE is the class leader in fuel efficiency.
Engine and Emissions
Next Generation Fuel Systems
Cat NOx Reduction System
Sound and Vibration
Touch Screen Display and Control Panel
Electro-Hydraulic (EH) Joystick Steering with Force Feedback (Speed Sensitive)
Faster Learning with Novice Operators
Simpler Operator Interface
Right Pedal Control – GO
Left Pedal Modulation – STOP
Maneuverability on Grade
Advanced Power Diagnostic
Simplified Shifting Strategy
- Full Automatic Transmission – Operator can choose to put machine in 4F and go without need for further shifting.
- Programmable Virtual Gears – Provides familiar, conventional speed range limiting with added flexibility of selecting virtual gears in-between (0.5F, 0.6F, 0.7F…1F, etc…) for desired applications.
- Integrated Flexibility – Separate and settable forward and reverse maximum speed virtual gears make operating the machine simple.
- Smooth and Continuous Deceleration under Load without Manual Downshifting – Allows an operator to engage the pile from 2nd gear run out speeds without having to manually downshift. Intuitively changes from roading to dozing without the need of operator input.
Simpler Directional Shift Operation
Standard Z-bar Linkage
High Lift Linkage
Industrial and Waste Handler
Performance Series Buckets
- Load Easy, Fuel Efficient, Carry More – Performance Series Buckets utilize a system-based approach to balance bucket shape with the machine’s linkage, weight, lift and tilt capacities. Operators benefit from reduced dig times and better material retention; ultimately translating into significant productivity and fuel efficiency improvements.
- Lower Operating Costs – Performance Series Buckets feature a longer floor that easily digs through the pile and provides excellent visibility for the operators to see when the bucket is full. Less time digging in the pile results in lower fuel consumption and improved tire life. A unique spill guard protects the cab and linkage components from material overflow.
- Higher Productivity – Performance Series Buckets achieve higher fill factors – ranging from 100% to 115% depending on the machine application and material type. The buckets feature a curved side profile to maximize material retention. The optimized design results in unsurpassed production capabilities.
Fusion Quick Coupler – Improved Machine Performance
Fusion Quick Coupler – No Loss of Performance
Fusion Quick Coupler – Unsurpassed Durability
Fusion Quick Coupler – Increased Visibility
Fusion Quick Coupler – Common Interface Compatibility
Cat Connect LINK Technologies
Cat Connect PAYLOAD Technologies
Cat Production Measurement App
Cat Connect DETECT Technologies
Rear Vision Camera
Customer Support Agreements
- Cat Product Link – Cat Product Link allows remote monitoring of equipment to improve overall fleet management effectiveness. Product Link is deeply integrated into machine systems. Events and diagnostic codes, as well as hours, fuel, idle time and other detailed information are transmitted to a secure web based application, VisionLink. VisionLink includes powerful tools to convey information to users and dealers, including mapping, working and idle time, fuel level and more.
- S·O·S Services – Helps manage component life and decrease machine downtime, increasing productivity and efficiency. Regular fluid sampling can help track what is going on inside your machine. Wear related problems are predictable and easily repairable. Maintenance can be done to accommodate your schedule, resulting in increased uptime and flexibility in maintenance repairs before failure.
- New Tier 4 Final/Stage IV ACERT Engine, Hydraulics, Transmission and Ride Control – Deep system integration results in reduced emissions, more productivity, lower fuel consumption, without interrupting machine performance – making it seamless to you and your operators.
- Advanced Power Train – With the integrated Cat continuously variable transmission, the machine is well balanced and easier to operate at extremely low engine speeds providing increased productivity while burning less fuel.
- New Manual/Automatic Differential Locks – Increase traction, reduce tire scuffing compared to other traction aids, further reducing your operating costs.
- New External Caliper Disc Parking Brakes – Easily accessible for maintenance.
- Machine Configuration – Select the correct linkage, guarding, work tool and tire type based on machine application. Radial tires are preferred; ensure proper inflation pressures. Heavier tires burn more fuel.
- Performance Series Buckets – Deliver faster fill times and better material retention, ultimately reducing cycle times while improving productivity and fuel efficiency.
Enabling Application Efficiency
- Loading Bucket – Load at low engine speed. Raise and tilt bucket smoother, with Caterpillar’s multi-function capability, and do not use a “pumping” motion. Avoid lift lever detent and use of transmission neutralizer. Use programmable kick-outs and automatic cylinder snubbing during repeated cycles.
- Loading Truck or Hopper – Do not raise the work tool any higher than necessary. Keep engine rpm low and unload in controlled manner. When slowing down the machine, use the lift command to recover the retarding energy.
- Idle – Set the parking brake to engage Engine Idle Management System to conserve fuel.
- Job Site Layout – Spot loading targets in the right position. Avoid traveling more than twice the machine length during short cycle loading. Reduce transport distance for load and carry cycles by optimizing job site layout.
- Improved fuel efficiency – less fuel consumed results in lower emissions.
- Machines are built with a 97% recyclability rate (ISO 16714) to conserve valuable natural resources and further enhance machine end of life value.
- Improved operator efficiency through enhanced visibility and reduced noise levels.
- Link technologies enable you to collect and analyze equipment and job site data so you can maximize productivity and reduce costs.
- Major components are rebuildable, eliminating waste and saving money by giving the machine and/or major components a second life – and even a third life.
Renowned Cat Dealer Support
- Your Cat dealer is ready to help you every step of the way. From new or used machine sales, to rental or rebuild options, your Cat dealer can provide an optimal solution to your business needs.
- Unsurpassed worldwide parts availability, trained technicians and customer support agreements maximize your machine uptime.
- Financing options are offered to meet a variety of customer needs.
- Cab, pressurized and sound suppressed (ROPS/FOPS)
- Viscous mounts
- Multi-function 18 cm color LCD touch-screen display for rear vision camera image display (reverse travel activated) and machine status, setting and health parameters
- EH controls, SAL (single axis lever) lift and tilt function
- Steering, EH joystick, speed sensing with force feedback
- Radio ready (entertainment) includes antenna, speakers and converter (12V, 10-amp)
- Air conditioner, heater, and defroster (auto temp and fan)
- EH parking brake
- Beverage holders (2) with storage compartment for cell phone/MP3 player
- Bucket/work tool function lockout
- Coat hook (2)
- Cab air filter
- Ergonomic cab access ladders and handrails
- Horn, electric
- Light, two dome (cab)
- Mirrors, rearview external with integrated spot mirrors
- Post mounted membrane 16 switch keypad
- 2 receptacles, 12V
- Seat, Cat Comfort (cloth) air suspension
- Seat belt, 51 mm retractable, with indicator
- Sun visor, front
- Wet-arm wipers/washers front and rear, intermittent front wiper
- Window, sliding (left and right sides)
- Cab tie-off
- With following gauges: – Speedometer/tachometer – Digital gear range indicator – Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) level – Temperature: engine coolant, hydraulic oil, transmission oil – Fuel level
- With following warning indicators: – Regeneration – Temperature: axle oil, engine intake manifold – Pressure: engine oil, fuel pressure hi/low, primary steering oil, service brake oil – Battery voltage hi/low – Engine air filter restriction – Hydraulic oil filter restriction – Hydraulic oil low – Parking brake – DEF low level – Transmission filter bypass
- Batteries (2), maintenance free 1,400 CCA
- Ignition key; start/stop switch
- Starter, electric, heavy duty
- Starting and charging system (24V)
- Lighting system: – Four halogen work lights (cab mounted) – Two front halogen roading lights (with signals) – Two halogen rear vision lights (hood mounted) – Two rear LED position/stop/turn signal lights
- Alarm, back-up
- Alternator, 145-amp brushed
- Main disconnect switch
- Emergency engine shutdown switch
- Receptacle start (cables not included)
- Secondary steering
- Link technologies: Product Link
- Detect technologies: rear vision camera
- Engine, Cat 9.3 ACERT – meets Tier 4 Final/Stage IV emission standards
- Cat Clean Emissions Module (CEM) with Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and remote Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) tank and pump
- Fuel priming pump (electric)
- Fuel/water separator
- Precleaner, engine air intake
- Cat continuously variable transmission
- Axles, manually actuated differential lock front axle, open differential rear axle
- Axles, ecology drains
- Brakes, full hydraulic enclosed wet-disc with modulated neutralizer and integrated retarding
- Brake wear indicators
- Parking brake, disc and caliper
- Right pedal lock, maximum rimpull control and machine speed limit in the cab
- Fan, radiator, electronically controlled, hydraulically driven, temperature sensing, on demand
- Radiator, high debris with wider fin spacing
- Linkage, Z-bar, cast crosstube/tilt lever
- Kickout, lift and tilt, automatic (adjustable in cab)
- Hydraulic system, load sensing
- Steering, load sensing
- Ride control, 2V
- Remote diagnostic pressure taps
- Hoses, Cat XT™
- Couplings, Cat O-ring face seal
- Hydraulic oil cooler (swing out)
- Oil sampling valves
- Premixed extended life coolant with freeze protection to –34° C
- Hood, non-metallic power tilting with rear clamshell
- Service centers (electrical and hydraulic)
- Platform, window washing
- Auto idle shutdown
- Fenders, steel front with mud-flap/rear with extension
- Ecology drains for engine, transmission, and hydraulics
- Ether aid ready
- Grill, airborne debris
- Filters: fuel, engine air, engine oil, hydraulic oil, transmission
- Fuel cooler
- Grease zerks
- Hitch, drawbar with pin
- Precleaner rain cap
- Sight gauges: engine coolant, hydraulic oil, and transmission oil level
- Vandalism protection caplocks
- Door, remote opening system
- Cover, HVAC metallic
- EH controls, SAL 3rd function: – Additional roller switch for 4th function
- EH controls, joystick lift and tilt: – Additional integrated roller switches for 3rd and 4th functions
- Filter, carbon fresh air
- Mirrors, heated rearview external with integrated spot mirrors
- Precleaner, HVAC
- Precleaner, HVAC (RESPA)
- Radio, AM/FM/CD/USB/MP3 Bluetooth
- Radio, CB ready
- Seat, heated air suspension
- Seat belt, 4 point harness, with indicator
- Roof, metallic
- Sun visor, rear
- Windows, rubber mounted
- Windows, with front guard
- Windows, with heavy duty front guard
- Windows, with full guards front, rear and sides
- Four additional halogen cab mounted work lights or;
- Four additional HID cab mounted work lights
- LED front and rear roading lights
- Speed limiter – 20 km/h
- Cold start – 240V
- Link technologies: VIMS™
- Payload technologies: – Aggregate Autodig – Cat Production Measurement – Printer, Cat Production Measurement
- Detect technologies: dedicated display for rear vision camera, full-time activation
- Machine Security System
- Axles: – Automatic front/rear differential locks – Axle oil cooler – Extreme temperature seals – Seal guards
- Fan, VPF (variable pitch fan), automatic and manual control
- Radiator, high ambient capability with lower fan spacing
- High lift
- Quick coupler ready
- Performance Series buckets
- Fusion quick coupler
- Forks, pallet
- Forks, logging
- 3rd function with Ride Control
- 4th function with Ride Control
- Premixed extended life coolant with freeze protection to –50° C
- Bio-degradable oil, Cat HYDO™
- Fenders, roading
- Guard, power train
- Guard, rear radiator grill
- Oil change, high speed engine
- Precleaner, turbine
- Precleaner, trash
- Aggregate Handler
- Industrial and Waste Handler
865-595-1060 or 865-599-8225
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST
Sign up to receive Stowers news, job openings and specials in your email inbox.
Browse used machines and equipment from Stowers Machinery, Stowers Rents and Stowers Power Systems.
CONTACT A SALES REP
Identify and contact your Stowers Machinery sales representative by entering your ZIP code.
LATEST POSTS FROM THE ONLINE COMMUNITY ...
I have rebuilt a cat 3204di engine and stuffed up the timing on the injection pump to engine. I jave... [More]
Alituraclaymask your scarves with pride, as the defect is like to cover Victoria's secret model... [More]
my cat 246 was running fine when we parked it . the next day turned the key on, had buzzer, glow plu... [More]