The 3176C engine, matched with the torque divider and field proven power shift transmission, provides years of dependable service.
Cat 3176C Engine Cylinder Block
The Cat 3176C engine meets EPA Tier 2, EU Stage II, and Japan MOC Step 2 exhaust emission regulations. Major features include:
- Power of 179 kW (240 hp) for superior performance.
- Large displacement electronic engine with lower exhaust emissions and good cold start capability.
- Power train to engine link with controlled throttle shifting.
- Higher efficiency turbocharger for improved airflow.
- Fuel/Air Ratio Control to minimize acceleration smoke.
Engine durability begins with its foundation - the engine block. The serpentine design of the 3176C block provides maximum strength with reduced weight. A single-piece, deep-skirted design provides a solid base for the durability you require in today’s 572R Series 2.Electronic Unit Injector (EUI)
The mechanically actuated, electronically controlled unit injector combines an electronic actuator, pump assembly and nozzle into a single, compact unit for reliability and durability. The 3176C fuel system has been tested in thousands of engines in some of the most demanding applications and environments around the world.Pistons
The two-piece, articulated piston design consists of a forged-steel crown for maximum strength and a cast aluminum skirt to reduce weight. A large piston pin holds the crown, skirt, and connecting rod together. The aluminum skirt runs cooler than conventional pistons, allowing a closer fit to the cylinder liner and providing longer life. The steel crown handles the higher internal pressures of today’s engines.Crankshaft
The crankshaft is steel forging with induction-hardened journals and fillets. The wide center and end main journals and bearings are designed to maintain maximum oil film thickness for excellent lubrication and for cooling the bearings. The result is long life-to-overhaul.Turbocharging and Aftercooling
When you couple a turbocharger with cooler inlet air from a superior aftercooling system it is no surprise that the 3176C engine will have cleaner emissions with better response, longer life, improved fuel economy and less heat rejection.Longer Component Life
The cylinder head utilizes additional coolant passages to provide maximum engine cooling. Cylinder liner inner surfaces are fully honed and induction hardened to maximize wear resistance. Oil-cooled pistons and full-length, water-cooled cylinder liners provide maximum heat transfer for longer component life.
Advanced Modular Cooling System (AMOCS)
AMOCS utilizes an exclusive two pass cooling system and increased cooling surface area to provide significantly more cooling efficiency than conventional systems.
Two-Pass Cooling System
Using a two-pass system, the AMOCS radiator provides a more efficient heat exchange. Coolant is routed from a sectioned bottom tank up the front side, over the top of the core and down the engine side of the core to the bottom tank. This flow pattern allows the coolant to pass through the radiator twice for better cooling.Modular Design
Separate Circuit Aftercooling
The cooling elements are individual core modules connected to a sectioned bottom tank. There is no top tank to remove. Design includes:
- Standard 9 steel fins per 2.54 cm (1 in), or an optional 6 steel fins per 2.54 cm (1 in).
- Brass tube construction within each core for improved reliability.
The 572R Series 2 features a Separate Circuit Aftercooler. Two of the AMOCS cores are dedicated to the aftercooler coolant circuit to achieve cooler inlet air temperatures, which increases performance and improves engine emissions. A separate water pump is used to circulate the aftercooler coolant.Serviceability
Modular core design permits removal of a single core without removing the entire radiator, reducing repair costs and downtime. AMOCS eliminates the top tank, side channels and one sealing surface, making it more reliable and easier to service. Also features a site gauge for quick service checks.Protection From Leaks
To reduce the potential for coolant leaks, brass tubes are welded to a large, thick header, improving strength of the tube-to-header joint. In conditions where abrasive materials can be airborne, the attachment sand blast grid should be used to inhibit core damage.Sand Blast Grid
In applications where airborne debris is prevalent, radiator core protection is a concern. To extend radiator life in harsh applications, a sand blast grid is available as an option to deflect the damaging debris the engine fan propels at the radiator.
Rugged, durable, and reliable components deliver smooth, responsive power and lasting reliability.
The 572R Series 2 single stage torque divider efficiently responds to changing load conditions by providing torque multiplication, therefore increasing drawbar power. Provides protection to the drive train components by preventing shock loads. The torque divider is efficiently matched to the power train components providing the superior performance you need.Transmission
Electronic Clutch Pressure Control
The proven planetary power shift transmission features three speeds forward and three speeds reverse and utilizes large diameter, high capacity, oil cooled clutches. To maximize the life of the transmission, the planetary design distributes loads and stresses over multiple gears.
- Controlled throttle shifting regulates engine speed during high-energy directional shifts for smoother operation and longer component life.
- The transmission and bevel gear set are modular by design and easily slide into the machine’s rear case.
- Forced oil flow lubricates and cools clutch packs to provide maximum clutch life.
- Load compensating shifting provides smooth engagement of the clutches under loaded conditions.
The 572R Series 2 has an additional transmission-shifting feature for added performance and operator comfort — the Electronic Clutch Pressure Control (ECPC). This unique feature provides smoother shifting by regulating and modulating the individual clutches based on current operating conditions.Steering Clutch and Brakes
Oil cooled, hydraulically actuated, large diameter plates and clutch discs provide higher torque capacity and increased service life.Electronic Steering and Transmission Controls
The 572R Series II provides Finger Tip Control for steering. Soft touch buttons located on the steering controls shift the electronically controlled transmission.Elevated Final Drive
Final drives are isolated from ground and work tool induced impact loads for extended power train life.
Finger Tip Control
Finger Tip Control (FTC) combines steering, machine direction and gear selection into a single control system, which can be operated with one hand for enhanced operator comfort and increased productivity.
Three-Speed Forward/Reverse Gear Selection
Three-speed forward/reverse gear selection is achieved simply by pressing the yellow speed selection buttons. These buttons are integrated into the Finger Tip Control group. • Automatic shifting features and reduced lever efforts for easier upshift and downshift, increased operator comfort, reduced fatigue, and precise control.Electronic Clutch and Brake Steering System
The electronic clutch and brake steering system incorporates low effort finger tip levers allowing the operator to work more precisely in close areas, around structures, obstacles and grade stakes. Pulling the left or right finger paddle causes the machine to turn according to the amount of paddle displacement. • Aimed at operator comfort is the electric vertical adjustment of the FTC control group. This positions the operator’s arm for efficient ergonomics.Machine Direction
Moving the machine’s transmission forward/neutral/reverse direction lever controls machine direction.Auto-shift and Auto-kickdown
Auto-shift and Auto-kickdown include the following features:
- Auto-shift allows the operator to preselect a forward and reverse gear for frequent directional changes. The settings include first forward to second reverse, second forward to second reverse and second forward to first reverse.
- Auto-kickdown automatically downshifts from any gear when the machine detects a significant increase in load.
Caterpillar pipelayer system includes winch and boom, counterweight and frame.
Winches and Boom Counterweight and Frame
- Independent hydraulic winches drive boom and hook drawworks.
- Oil-disc brakes provide smooth operation, positive retention of boom and hook positions.
- Modular design allows fast replacement, easy field service, and testing.
- Infinitely variable speed controls for boom and hook allow precise control.
- Emergency free-fall function on load line control allows the operator to drop the load quickly.
- Tubular, cast-steel boom is rugged, delivers better fatigue life.
- Replaceable boom-mount bearings.
- The narrow profile of the counterweight design minimizes impact on viewing area.
- Mainframe consists of box-section frame welded to a cast bevel gear case.
- Counterweight is extended hydraulically for load balance.
- Service latch mechanically locks counterweight in extended position.
- Large jaw opening and pin diameter.
- Able to tow wide range of attachments.
Ergonomically designed for operator's comfort and productivity.
Ergonomically designed and fully adjustable for maximum comfort. The seat cushion reduces the pressure on the lower back and thighs while allowing unrestricted arm and leg movement.Dash
The instrument panel, with easy to read analog gauges and warning lamps, keeps the operator aware of any potential problems. All gauges and readouts are easily visible in direct sunlight. Auto-shift and Auto-kickdown controls are located within easy reach of the operator. New footpads keep the operator stable and comfortable during side slope applications.Caterpillar Monitoring System
Provides gauges to monitor the temperature of the engine coolant, hydraulic oil, and power train oil, plus the fuel level. Also provides alert indicators that monitor engine oil pressure, inlet manifold temperature, coolant flow, electrical charging system, transmission oil filter, air filter service indicator, engine fault warning light, work tool warning indicator, and hydraulic filter. The monitoring system has:
- Easy to read digital tachometer.
- Self-test at every start.
- Fault code for easy troubleshooting.
Adjusts the position of the counterweight for added machine stability.Finger Tip Control
Finger Tip Control (FTC) combines steering, machine direction and gear selection into a single control system, which can be operated with one hand for enhanced operator comfort and precise control.Ergonomic Work Tool Controls
Pipelayer controls are low effort and allow simultaneous, precise positioning of the load line and boom with one hand.Load Line Speed Range
Allows the operator to select high or low.Power Supply
The voltage converter provides two 12-volt power supplies.Access Ladder
Direct access to the operator’s station utilizing ladder on left side of the machine.
Engineered and manufactured to provide durability in the most demanding work.
Frame and Castings Optional Roll Over Protective Structure
Case and frames are built to absorb high impact shock loads and torsional forces. Castings are strategically located within the frame to add additional strength. Caterpillar uses robotic welding techniques in the assembly of the case and frames. This insures quality and reliability throughout the structure. The one-piece all welded chassis provides superior strength over bolted designs, and provides stiffness and durability.
- High strength steel mainframe resists impact shock loads.
- Computer-aided finite element analysis is used to evaluate and ensure high durability of the chassis by computer modeling it and identifying high stress area.
- Full scale structural testing to test integrity of the structures.
- Robotic welding provides deep penetration and consistency for long life, and reduces the chance for errors that may be made during manual welding.
- Precision top level machining for perfect alignment of bores and surfaces minimizes out of tolerance wear patterns and improves durability.
- Non-oscillating roller frames for greater stability in pipelaying applications.
- The recoil system is sealed and lubricated.
- Improved pipelayer structure mounting.
Provides for increased operator protection.
The Caterpillar elevated sprocket undercarriage arrangement is designed for better balance, performance, and component life.
Elevated Final Drive Undercarriage Arrangements
- Isolates final drives from ground and work tool induced impact loads for extended power train life.
- Keeps sprocket teeth, bushings, and final drive away from abrasive materials and moisture.
- Single reduction planetary final drives provide long-lasting performance and durability.
Heavy-Duty Sealed and Lubricated Track
Standard Arrangement: 660 mm (26 in) single grouser shoes made from heat-treated, rolled steel for added strength. Long track frame and wide gauge enhance track contact area, providing a very stable working base. Low Ground Pressure (LGP) arrangement (optional):
- 760 mm (30 in) single grouser slipped shoes.
- Specially designed to work in soft and spongy conditions.
- Wide track shoes increase track contact area and reduce ground pressure for excellent flotation.
Permanently coats the track pin with a sealed-in lubricant, minimizing metal-to-metal contact.
- Virtually eliminates internal pin and bushing wear.
- Lubricant is held in a reservoir in the track pin.
Caterpillar undercarriages are designed with full length guarding on top of the track roller frame. This prevents abrasive materials from falling down on moving parts.Roller Frames
Roller frames are tubular, to resist bending and twisting.Optional High Flange Improved Track Rollers
Combined with center or full length roller guard attachments greatly improve track guiding for demanding side slope conditions.
Modular design moves Caterpillar a generation ahead in simplifying service and maintenance.
This option allows the customer or dealer to obtain machine diagnostics and location from their offices. Product Link provides updates on service meter hours, machine condition, machine location, as well as integrated mapping/route planning.Electronic Monitoring System
Features a flexible monitoring system that is easily upgraded by flashing software rather than replacing the module, reducing parts cost. As technology changes and new electronics and software become available, the machine's monitoring system is easily updated.Built-in Serviceability
Less service time means more working time. Major components are designed as modules and most can be removed without disturbing or removing other components.Diagnostics
Cat 572R Series 2 diagnostic and troubleshooting capabilities are among the best. The machine dashboard allows for quick identification of a problem and its cause, utilizing a three level warning system. Diagnostic connector allows Caterpillar dealers to quickly troubleshoot or access stored data with the use of Electronic Technician (Cat ET) or ECAP.Ecology Drains
Ecology drains provide an environmental method to drain fluids. Standard for the engine oil, coolant, hydraulic oil, fuel tank, and power train case. Optional for the transmission and torque converter.Advanced Modular Cooling System
Individual radiator core modules are easily serviced without major component removal.Easy Engine Maintenance
Many parts can be rebuilt and are available as remanufactured components.
- Parent-metal block can be rebored twice and dry-sleeved.
- Connecting rods can be removed through cylinder tops.
- Camshaft followers and push rods can be replaced without removing camshaft.
- Extended oil and engine filter change intervals up to 500 hours.
Scheduled Oil Sampling made easier through live sampling ports for the engine oil, power train, coolant, and hydraulics.
Total Customer Support
Excellent parts availability and the best service capability help increase productivity.
Your Cat Dealer offers a wide range of services that can be set up under a Customer Support Agreement when you purchase your equipment. Your dealer will help you choose a plan that can cover everything from the machine and attachment selection to replacement. This will help you get the best return on your investment.Remanufactured Components
Save money with remanufactured parts. You receive the same warranty and reliability as new products at a cost savings of 40 to 70 percent.Service Capability
Whether in the dealer’s fully equipped shop or in the field, you will get trained service technicians using the latest technology and tools.Selection
Make detailed comparisons of the machines you are considering before you buy. How long do components last? What is the cost of preventive maintenance? What is the true cost of lost production? Your Cat Dealer can give you precise answers to these questions.Purchase
Consider the financing options available as well as day-to-day operating costs. This is also the time to look at dealer services that can be included in the cost of the machine to yield lower equipment owning and operating costs over the long run.Replacement
Repair, rebuild, or replace? Your Cat Dealer can help evaluate the cost involved so you can make the right choice.Maintenance
More and more equipment buyers are planning for effective maintenance before buying equipment. Choose from your dealer’s wide range of maintenance services at the time of your purchase. Repair option programs guarantee the cost of repairs up front. Diagnostic programs such as Scheduled Oil Sampling and Technical Analysis help avoid unscheduled repairs.