Highwall Mining System 495665 lb
Mine Mode Dimensions (without Cutter Module)
Width 38.5 ft
Height 28.7 ft
Length* 66.5 ft
Note *Actual length dependant upon model configuration.
Maximum Penetration Capability 1000 ft
Weight (without Cutter Module)
Machine Weight 495665 lb
Maximum Penetration Capability 1000 ft
Environmental and Operational Conditions
Note The Cat HW300 is designed for these environmental and operating conditions.
Mine Application Trench Application
Mine Application Open Pit Mining
Mine Application Contour Mining
Ambient Temperature –30° C to +35° C (–22° F to 95° F)
Ambient Temperature Arctic and Tropical Packages are optional
Pit Floor Gradient 8 degrees nominal in any direction, 10 degrees maximum in any direction for traveling
Maximum Seam Gradient 8 degrees down dip relative to horizontal (Level side-to-side, pit floor prepared at 3 degrees)
Power and Consumption
Note Electric Power (Installed) 995/460 VAC, 50/90 Hz Mid/High Seam Cutter Module and Right Angle Discharge Configuration
Cutting Motors – 60 Hz (2; 995V): Power (ea) 240 Hp
Cutting Motors – 50 Hz (2; 995V): Power (ea) 200 Hp
Gathering Motors – 60 Hz (2; 995V): Power (ea) 45 Hp
Gathering Motors – 50 Hz (2; 995V): Power (ea) 55 Hp
Power Head Auger Motors (2; 995V): Power (ea) 500 Hp
Hydraulic Pump Motor (1; 995V): Power (ea) 300 Hp
Base Frame Conveyor Motor (1; 995V): Power (ea) 100 Hp
Right Angle Conveyor Motor (1; 995V): Power (ea) 100 Hp
Stacking Conveyor Motor (Maximum) (Customer Equipment) (1; 995V): Power (ea) 100 Hp
Cooling Fan Motors (6; 460V): Power (ea) 2 Hp
Water Circulating Pump Motor (1; 460V): Power (ea) 10 Hp
Hydraulic Oil Circulating Pump Motor (1; 460V): Power (ea) 15 Hp
Water Spray Pump Motor (1; 460V): Power (ea) 8 Hp
Cutting Motors – 60 Hz (2; 995V): Power (Total) 480 Hp
Cutting Motors – 50 Hz (2; 995V): Power (Total) 400 Hp
Gathering Motors – 60 Hz (2; 995V): Power (Total) 90 Hp
Gathering Motors – 50 Hz (2; 995V): Power (Total) 110 Hp
Power Head Auger Motors (2; 995V): Power (Total) 1000 Hp
Hydraulic Pump Motor (1; 995V): Power (Total) 300 Hp
Base Frame Conveyor Motor (1; 995V): Power (Total) 100 Hp
Right Angle Conveyor Motor (1; 995V): Power (Total) 100 Hp
Stacking Conveyor Motor (Maximum) (Customer Equipment) (1; 995V): Power (Total) 100 Hp
Cooling Fan Motors (6; 460V): Power (Total) 12 Hp
Water Circulating Pump Motor (1; 460V): Power (Total) 10 Hp
Hydraulic Oil Circulating Pump Motor (1; 460V): Power (Total) 15 Hp
Water Spray Pump Motor (1; 460V): Power (Total) 8 Hp
Total Connected Power – 60 Hz (19): Power (Total) 2215 Hp
Total Connected Power – 50 Hz (19): Power (Total) 2155 Hp
Power for the Miner
Source The highwall miner can be powered directly by mine power, or by a self contained generator system where connections to the utility grid is not practical.
System A closed loop cooling system, alleviates the need for water to cool the machine. In applications where water is necessary for cutting, a cutter module spray option is available. Water consumption during the mining operation is an average of 1000 L (264 gal) per hour (estimate).
General Specifications All dimensions and weights are approximate and depending on final specification.
Machine Dimensions while Mining – Width 38.5 ft
Machine Dimensions while Mining – Height 28.7 ft
Machine Dimensions while Mining – Length: LPCM 66.5 ft
Machine Dimensions while Mining – Length: Mid-Seam CM 70 ft
Machine Dimensions while Tramming – Width 7.7 m (25.3 ft) Track Width
Machine Dimensions while Tramming – Height 30 ft
Machine Dimensions while Tramming – Length: LPCM 66.5 ft
Machine Dimensions while Tramming – Length: Mid-Seam CM 70 ft
Note Minimum road width for overhanging structure: 9.2 m (30.1 ft) with right-angle conveyor removed.
Weight – HWM without cutter head 495665 lb
Weight – 54 pieces 11750 lb
Extra Low Profile Cutter Module (XLPCM)
Approximate Weight 51000 lb
Drum Diameter 25.5 in
Cutting Width 116 in
Cutting Height Above Grade 61 in
Cutting Height Below Grade 7.5 in
Minimum Recommended Seam Height 28 in
Low Profile Cutter Module (LPCM)
Approximate Weight 51000 lb
Drum Diameter 25.5 in
Cutting Width 116 in
Cutting Height Above Grade 62 in
Cutting Height Below Grade 8 in
Minimum Recommended Seam Height 30 in
Mid‐Seam Cutter Module
Approximate Weight 94400 lb
Drum Diameter 38.0 in
Cutting Width 138 in
Cutting Height Above Grade 120.5 in
Cutting Height Below Grade 9 in
Minimum Recommended Seam Height 47.2 in
High‐Seam Cutter Module
Approximate Weight 107000 lb
Drum Diameter 38.0 in
Cutting Width 138 in
Cutting Height Above Grade 176.9 in
Cutting Height Below Grade 9.6 in
Minimum Recommended Seam Height 94.5 in
Overall Length 66.5 ft
Overall Height 28.7 ft
Hose Reel Height 25.7 ft
Track Width 34.0 ft
Overall Width 38.5 ft
Half Track Width 17.0 ft
The Highwall Mining Method
Extracting coal affordably and safely.
The Cat highwall mining system offers an innovative and efficient method for extracting coal from exposed seams in a multitude of applications.
The HWM300 works on the pit floor or bench directly in front of the exposed seam. Up to 300 m (1,000 ft) long parallel rectangular “drives” are cut into the coal seam by means of the cutter head module and push beams (unmanned coal-conveying elements).
These push beams transport the cut coal internally via two counter rotating spiral conveyors (augers) back to the entry of the drive and then onto a stockpile.
The whole mining cycle is completed by a 3-4 man crew with no personnel ever going underground.
Whether you’re operating a trench, open cast or contour mine, the Cat highwall mining system can extract coal affordably and safely:
- Open cast: Highwall mining is used to mine coal from underneath the final highwall, when the strip limit is reached due to economic reasons or surface conditions
- Contour mining: In a mountainous area, the Cat highwall mining system can follow a coal seam along the side of the hill
- Trench mining: The unit mines coal from both sides of a purpose-prepared trench; this mining method is used when an open pit is not an option
You can begin your own feasibility study by visiting our site evaluation tool located on the Highwall Miner product page of http://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/equipment/highwall-miners.html. From there, Caterpillar and its dealers can assist with highly skilled experts to determine if highwall mining may be right for you.
Providing the forces for optimal performance.
Heavy Duty Power Head Assembly
The power head propels the cutter module and push beam string forward using two hydraulically powered sump cylinders with a 6.86 m (22.5 ft) stroke. The power head also drives the augers which are located inside the push beams. The pushing force of 133 tonnes (147 tons) propels the cutter module to a depth of 300 m (1,000 ft) and the pulling force of 275 tonnes (303 tons) retracts it safely.
Proven technology for accurate cuts.
Through appropriate Cutter Module selection the HW300 can be tailored to mine coal seams as low as 711 mm (28 in) or as high as 4500 mm (177 in).Cutter Modules
Caterpillar offers four electric cutter modules: extra low seam, low seam, mid-seam and high seam. The cutter modules are interchangeable and quickly attached to the highwall mining system. The cutting cycle is fully automated, yet allows the operator to manually adjust the machine function using an ampere reading as the coal seam varies. This proven technology allows the cutter module to accurately follow the coal seam and produce a product near inherent ash levels.Advanced Technology
An optional Gamma Detection system can be used to guide the cutter module through the coal seam, leaving predetermined amounts of coal in the roof and floor. This system also allows the mining of coal in soft roof and/or soft floor situations.
Fiber optic, gyro based navigation and steering is also available as an option on the HW300. This provides operators with very precise cutter module location data in real time for enhanced cutter module steering and control of pillar width.
Designed for comfort, control and productivity.
- The Cat highwall mining system is equipped with a comfortable, climate controlled, pressurized cab that offers full line of sight to the highwall, strip pit, support staff and support equipment.
- The full suspension operator seat and the two user-friendly touchscreens create an ergonomic workplace, placing controls and system information at the operator’s fingertips. The operator uses a computer mouse to run the machine and the graphics-based touch screens are language-neutral, employing globally recognizable icons.
- A programmable logic controller executes all inputs by the operator, manages any automatic features and provides comprehensive diagnostic capability.
Improved maneuverability in tight spaces.
- The Cat highwall mining system is a strong, self-propelled machine that operates on contour benches as narrow as 18 m (59 ft).
- It trams easily from entry to entry and discharges coal in tight spaces. An optional right-angle conveyor system discharges coal on the right or left side on narrow benches. It can also discharge onto a stacking conveyor system, where coal is moved to the center of the bench for stockpiling large volumes.
- Four heavy-duty, hydraulically-powered tracks articulate independently in two operating modes – mine mode and tram mode – and can rotate the machine 360°, which improves maneuverability in congested areas. Mine mode is used for moving parallel to the highwall, while tram mode is used when moving from pit to pit.
The backbone of the highwall mining system.
Dependable Push Beams
Cat® push beams are 6 m (20 ft) long, rectangular, reinforced steel box structures joined together to form a string, which connects the highwall mining system to the cutter module.
The push beam string is the backbone of the machine; pushing and pulling the cutter module in and out of the coal seam.
The push beam conveys mined coal internally via two counter rotating spiral conveyors (augers). The enclosed beam protects the coal from contamination and supports the hose chain that supplies control and power to the cutter module.
Other Cat push beam advantages include:
- A strong method of attachment that is secured and disengaged quickly
- A push beam connection that allows the string and cutter module to navigate through coal seam rolls and undulations, even under tough pushing and pulling conditions
- A simple design free of electrical and hydraulic connections
- Push beams can be stacked six high, reducing the amount of storage area required in narrow work sites
Reel and Chain
Storage and protection of cables and hoses.
Rugged Reel and Chain
A steel-armored hose chain stores and protects all electric power cables, hydraulic and coolant lines, and the control cable to the cutter module. The hose chain is automatically unrolled and retracted on a reel during mining.
Keeping the operation productive.
Control System with Diagnostics
The Cat highwall mining system’s operation is controlled by a Programmable Logic Controller, which provides reliable performance for greater uptime. A comprehensive diagnostics system, including troubleshooting assistance, streamlines maintenance procedures.
Maximum stabilization even under the toughest conditions.
Two drills mounted on the front of the machine are used to drill into the pit floor up to 2.4 m (8 ft). High-strength pins are then inserted through the base frame into the pit floor to help stabilize the machine and to maintain its accurate position, even under tough pushing and pulling conditions.
Convenient modularity for quick assembly.
Easy Machine Relocation
For quick relocation over long distances, the Cat highwall mining system can be taken apart in modules. Rapid disassembly and reassembly is facilitated by convenient hydraulic and electrical connectors, and all modules are sized for transport using regular public roads.
Depending on local conditions, the system can also be transported between sites and without disassembly by heavy haul trucks.
Services to keep your equipment productive.
Parts and service support for the HW300 are never far away with the global Cat Dealer Network. You can count on our dealers’ skill and knowledge for quality maintenance and high machine availability. Caterpillar and dealer personnel are also ready to help evaluate any potential mine site and its coal seam.
Caterpillar can arrange operational and technical training which covers every aspect of the HW300 Highwall Miner. A two-week training program is offered to new customers and to existing customers as a refresher.
A site-evaluation tool is available on cat.com to help classify the geology before considering this mining system.Financing
Whatever your needs, Cat Financial has the financing solution that will help you expedite your purchase and get your equipment on the job, fast. We offer quick and easy financing, with customized payment plans. You chose Cat equipment because you know Caterpillar offers reliable, productive, and powerful machinery. Now, choose Cat Financial to help grow your business.
Our first priority.
We’ve Built Important Safety Features into the HW300 Everywhere You Look…the Cat HW300 Highwall Miner is Built for Safety
- Machine mounted lighting covers the entire machine and the surrounding work area.
- Exterior cab mounted cameras.
- Laminated, tinted safety glass that reduces glare and prevents shattering.
- FOPS certified.
- Seat is adjustable on three axis points for comfort and ergonomics.
- Remote wireless operation is possible.
- Strong and extensive work platforms and hand rails.
- Lockable gates restrict access to the hose reel area.
- Walk areas and steps have serrated grating for traction.
- “Pendant” controls operate the second generation push beam transfer mechanism (PTM-2) providing space and limiting engagement with moving equipment. Crew never works below suspended push beams.
- When moving heavy push beams, positive lock lift hooks are used to securely hold the load. Beams are joined with two simple pins. No high-voltage or fluid connections required. An ergonomically- designed extraction tool helps remove the pins and keeps the crew from excessive bending and lifting throughout the shift.
- The HW300 is designed for immediate shut down by means of emergency stop switches (also called e-stops) strategically located around the machine.
- An Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) ensures the machine stops safely, that important data is stored and emergency lighting is activated to help the team safely evacuate if needed. Lights can also be timed in non-emergency situations to stay on for a set period after machine shut down- providing a well-lit exit.
- The HW300 has dust suppression at the power head, the coal discharge and along chain conveyor transition points. The cab and key compartments with sensitive equipment are slightly-pressurized to keep dust out – An exhaust fan inside the hydraulic compartment helps with air flow and venting.
- The extra low seam cutter module grease take up cylinders – reduce the effort, time and equipment needed to adjust and tension the chain.
- Blowback guard on machine front provides protection in the unlikely event of a methane explosion underground.
- Overhead structure enhances safety for those working at the front of the machine.
- Automatic fire suppression for electrical controls and hydraulics installed in the housing compartment.