Engine Model Cat® C6.4 ACERT™
Net Flywheel Power 148.0 hp
Net Power - ISO 9249 148.0 hp
Bore 4.02 in
Stroke 5.12 in
Displacement 389.0 in3
Net Power - EEC 80/1269 148.0 hp
Net Power - SAE J1349 148.0 hp
Operating Weight 44820.0 lb
Operating Weight - Std. Undercarriage 44820.0 lb
Operating Weight - Long Undercarriage 47554.0 lb
Base machine with counterweight and 800 mm shoes 38514.71 lb
Maximum Drawbar Pull 46085.82 lb
Maximum Travel Speed 3.5 mph
Main Implement System - Maximum Flow (2x) 54.0 gal/min
Max. Pressure - Equipment 5076.0 psi
Max. pressure - Heavy Lift 5076.0 psi
Max. Pressure - Travel 5076.0 psi
Max. Pressure - Swing 3553.0 psi
Pilot System - Maximum Flow 9.0 gal/min
Pilot System - Maximum Pressure 566.0 psi
Boom Cylinder - Bore 4.7 in
Boom Cylinder - Stroke 49.6 in
Mass Stick Cylinder - Bore 5.5 in
Reach Stick Cylinder - Bore 5.5 in
B1 Family Bucket Cylinder - Bore 4.7 in
Mass Stick Cylinder - Stroke 59.2 in
Reach Stick Cylinder - Stroke 59.8 in
B1 Family Bucket Cylinder - Stroke 43.5 in
CB2 Family Bucket Cylinder - Bore 5.3 in
CB2 Family Bucket Cylinder - Stroke 45.5 in
Service Refill Capacities
Fuel Tank Capacity 108.0 gal
Cooling System 6.6 gal
Engine Oil 8.0 gal
Swing Drive 2.1 gal
Final Drive (each) 2.1 gal
Hydraulic System (including tank) 69.0 gal
Hydraulic Tank 32.0 gal
Hydraulic Tank (Including suction pipe) 36.0 gal
Performance ANSI/SAE J1166 APR 90
Brakes SAE J1026 APR90
Cab/FOGS SAE J1356 FEB88
Swing Speed 11.5 RPM
Swing Torque 45612.0 lb ft
Standard w/Standard Undercarriage 23.62 in
Standard w/Long Undercarriage 27.56 in
Ground Clearance - Fixed Gauge 17.72 in
Maximum Bucket Capacity 2.6 yd3
Maximum cutting height 391.34 in
Maximum loading height 273.23 in
Minimum loading height 48.43 in
Maximum vertical wall digging depth 274.41 in
Shipping length 371.65 in
Transport width 125.2 in
Shipping Height 11.3 ft
Counterweight clearance 40.16 in
C6.4 with ACERT® Technology
The Cat® C6.4 gives the 320D exceptional power and fuel efficiency unmatched in the industry for consistently high performance in all applications.
The Cat C6.4 with ACERT™ Technology introduces a series of evolutionary, incremental improvements that provide breakthrough engine technology. The building blocks of ACERT Technology are fuel delivery, air management and electronic control. ACERT Technology optimizes engine performance while meeting U.S. EPA Tier 3 emission regulations. With its proven technology, robust components and precision manufacturing, you can count on this engine to power up at start time and keep working productively all shift long.ADEM™ A4 Engine Controller
The ADEM A4 electronic control module manages fuel delivery to get the best performance per liter of fuel used. The engine management system provides flexible fuel mapping, allowing the engine to respond quickly to varying application needs. It tracks engine and machine conditions while keeping the engine operating at peak efficiency.Fuel Delivery
The Cat C6.4 features electronic controls that govern the fuel injection system. Multiple injection fuel delivery involves a high degree of precision. Precisely shaping the combustion cycle lowers combustion chamber temperatures, generating fewer emissions and optimizing fuel combustion. This translates into more work output for your fuel cost.Cooling System
The cooling fan is directly driven from the engine. An electrically controlled viscous clutch fan is available as an attachment to reduce fan noise. The optimum fan speed is calculated based on the target engine speed, coolant temperature, hydraulic oil temperature and actual fan speed. When fan speed is reduced, there's more power available for other functions - and less fuel is burned.
Cat® hydraulics deliver power and precise control to keep material moving.
To optimize efficiency of hydraulic performance, the hydraulic components are located close together, which reduces friction loss and pressure drops in the lines.System Pressure
System pressure has been increased to 35,000 kPa (5076 psi), which attributes to improved performance:
- Increased stick and bucket forces (up 7 percent higher than the 320C) to better handle those tight digging conditions
- More drawbar pull (206 kN - 46,322 lb) to provide more ability to climb slopes, easier spot turns and improved travel in poor underfoot conditions
- More lift capacity, generally over the front where you are generally hydraulically limited
The 320D features the addition of a heavy lift, which increases system pressure to 36,000 kPa (5220 psi), giving even more lift capacity over the front. Heavy Lift is activated be depressing the soft switch on the right hand conslole. As the pressure increases, the engine speed is reduced, which allows better control while lifting objects.Pilot System
The pilot pump is independent from the main pumps and controls the front linkage, swing and travel operations.Hydraulic Cross Sensing System
The hydraulic cross sensing system utilizes each of two hydraulic pumps to 100 percent of engine power, under all operating conditions. This improves productivity with faster implement speeds and quicker, stronger pivot turns.Boom and Stick Regeneration Circuit
Boom and stick regeneration circuit saves energy during boom-down and stick-in operation which increases efficiency, reduces cycle times and pressure loss for higher productivity, lower operating costs and increased fuel efficiency.Auxiliary Hydraulic Valve
The auxiliary valve is standard on the 320D. Control Circuits are available as attachments, allowing for operation of high and medium pressure tools such as shears, grapples, hammers, pulverizers, multi-processors and vibratory plate compactors.Hydraulic Cylinder Snubbers
Snubbers are located at the rod-end of the boom cylinders and both ends of the stick cylinders to cushion shocks while reducing sound levels and extending component life.Monitor
The monitor is a full color Liquid Crystal Display that gives you vital operating and performance information, alerts in text, all in a simple, east to navigate format.
Caterpillar offers the most intuitive and easy to operate excavators while providing great all around visibility and exceptional operator comfort.
Operator Station Standard Cab Equipment
The layout of the interior has been redesigned to maximize operator comfort and reduce operator fatigue.
- Frequently used switches have been relocated for easier access.
- Consoles and armrests have been redesigned for better comfort and adjustability.
- More seat options - choose from the standard mechanical suspension seat, or the optional air suspension seat with heater. Both provide excellent comfort.
To enhance operator comfort and productivity, the cab includes a lighter, drink holder, coat hook, service meter, literature holder, magazine rack and storage compartment.Joystick Control
Joystick controls have low lever effort and are designed to match the operator’s natural wrist and arm position.Hydraulic Activation Control Lever
For added safety, this lever must be in the operate position to activate the machine control functions.Automatic Climate Control
Fully automatic climate control adjusts temperature and flow, and determines which air outlet is best in each situation with a touch of a button.
320D is designed to handle the most rugged operating conditions, while providing long life and value.
Robust Undercarriage Rugged Structures
A solid foundation built tough to absorb the stresses of everyday work.
- Rollers and idlers are sealed and lubricated to extend service life.
- track links are assembled and sealed with grease to decrease internal bushing wear and increase life by as much as 25%, when compared to dry seal undercarriages.
- Spring recoil system stroke has been increased to better relieve excess track tension, which can occur when material builds up between the track and sprocket.
Structural components and the undercarriage are the backbone of the machines's durability. Caterpillar places a lot of emphasis on the machine's durability during the designing and manufacturing of its excavators.
- Up to 95% of the structural welds are welded by robots, which achieve up to three times the penetration of a manual weld and improving overall durability of the machine.
- The 320D's main frame utilizes high-tensile strength steel and a one-piece swing table, which improves strength and reliability.
- The carbody has a X-shaped, box section design to resist bending and twisting forces.
- Track roller frames are press-formed in a pentagonal shape for additional strength.
The bucket linkage pins for the Mass Excavator configuration have been enlarged to improve reliability and durability. All the pins in the front linkages have thick chrome plating, giving them high wear and corrosion resistance.Bucket Linkage
The power link improves durability, increases machine-lifting capability in key lifting positions and with the integrated lift-eye it is easier to use than compared to the previous power link. The lift eye also gives you the optimum lift performance. It allows you to lower the load point, which maximizes the use of the boom cylinders.
Booms, Sticks and Bucket Linkages
Built for Performance and long service life, Caterpillar® booms and sticks are large, welded, box-section structures with thick, multi-plate fabrications in high stress areas.
Front Linkage Options
The Reach Boom allows excellent all-around versatility and a large working envelope. It can be equipped with the following three sticks:
- R3.9B1 - offers maximum reach and digging depth
- R2.9B1 - performs well in a mid-range working envelope
- R2.5B1 - a good match when the job requires a larger bucket or a hammer Mass Excavation Boom is designed for heavy-duty, high production earthmoving applications and has a single system-matched stick
- M2.4CB2 - delivers significantly higher digging forces and allows the use of large buckets.
Super Long Reach Front - with reaches up to 15.2 m (50 ft) this configuration is designed for light duty applications requiring an extra large working envelope.
Work Tools - Attachments
The 320D has an extensive selection of work tools to optimize machine performance.
Wide Variety of Work Tools Caterpillar Buckets
Caterpillar offers a complete line of work tools to match all of your application needs:
- Hammers - matched to Cat machines for optimum performance
- Thumbs, Stiff Link, Full Rotation - transforms your 320D into a versatile material handling machine
- Grapples - choose from a large variety of grapples that best suit your application
- Multi-processors - does the work of many types of demolition tools by use of interchangeable jaws
- Shears - features 360 degree rotation and high force to weight ratio
- Pulverizers - ideally suited for rapid, non-explosive demolition applications
- Vibratory Plate Compactors - provide superior compaction force in a reliable, low maintenance package
- Rippers - perfectly suited for trenching and pipeline applications where conditions aren't favorable to traditional ripping methods
Caterpillar Ground Engaging Tools (GET)
The most expansive choice of buckets that can optimize machine performance and match your application needs.
- General Purpose Buckets - for digging in low impact, moderately abrasive materials such as dirt, loam, gravel and clay.
- Heavy-Duty Buckets - for use in abrasive applications such as mixed dirt, clay and rock.
- Heavy-Duty power Buckets - for use in abrasive applications where breakout force and cycle times are critical - good for materials such as mixed dirt, clay and rock.
- Ditch Cleaning Buckets - wide and shallow for ditch cleaning, bank forming and finishing.
Choose from a wide variety of tips that maximize bucket and machine performance. Sidecutters and sidebar protectors are also available.Couplers
Multiply the versatility and utility of 320D.
- Hydraulic Pin Grabber Plus - allows quick and easy tool changes without having to leave the cab. Picks up a large variety of tools equipped with standard pins.
- Dedicated Coupler - no loss of tip radius, maximizing the breakout forces on your 320D.
Both the PL121 and PL321 are available as factory installed attachments. PL121 gives you Asset Watch, which includes the following features:
- Engine hours
- Machine location
- Time based fences (when the machines can operate)
- Geo-based fences (boundaries that the machine can operator)PL321 gives you all of the features listed for PL121, plus the ability to include Health and Maintenance Watch.
- Health Watch ° Codes from on-board EDM's/Sensors ° Estimated Fuel Consumption ° Fuel Watch
- Maintenance Watch
° Preventative Maintenance Planning ° Preventative Maintenance Checklists ° Overdue PM Notification ° PM History Recording
An optional Machine Security System is available from the factory on the 320D. This system controls when the machine can be operated and utilizes specific keys to prevent unauthorized machine use, a significant theft deterrent.More Attachments
The 320D offers the most options available to equip your 320D to best match your application and work environment requirements. From track shoe size to guarding packages to operator comfort options, the 320D offers more options.Extended Service Interval
320D service and maintenance intervals have been extended to reduce machine service time and increase machine availability.
A wide variety of optional factory-installed attachments are available to enhance performance and improve job site management.
Auxiliary Hydraulic Options
Allows you to configure your 320D to meet your work tools needs, while increasing its versatility.
- Single Function Circuit - suited for tools that require one-way flow with both pumps, such as hammers, vibratory plate compactors.
- Double Function Circuit - suited for tools that require two-way flow, utilizing one pump, such as thumbs or non-rotation grapples or shears.
- Tool Control System - accommodates single or double function tools, as well as rotating tools when equipped with medium pressure.
- Stores pressure and flow information for up to 10 tools - Cat tools selectable that have preset flows and pressures - Shortcut button on right hand console, making tool selection easier.
Service and Maintenance
Simplified service and maintenance features save you time and money.
Ground Level Service
The design and layout of the 320D was made with the service technician in mind. Many service locations are easily accessible at ground level allowing critical maintenance to get done quickly and efficiently.Air Filter Compartment
The air filter features a double-element construction for superior cleaning efficiency. When the air cleaner plugs, a warning is displayed on the monitor screen inside the cab.Pump Compartment
A service door on the right side allows for ground level access to the hydraulic pump, engine oil filter, case drain and pilot filters.Radiator Compartment
The air conditioning condenser swings out to allow access to the engine radiator and oil cooler. the air to air after cooler is fixed in position above the condenser.Greasing Points
A concentrated remote greasing block on the boom delivers grease to hard-to-reach locations on the front.Capsule Filter
The hydraulic return filter, a capsule filter, is situated outside the hydraulic tank. This filter prevents contaminants from entering the system when hydraulic oil is changed and keeps the operation clean.Anti-Skid Plate
Anti-skid plate covers top of storage box and upper structure to prevent slipping during maintenance.Diagnostics and Monitoring
The 320D is equipped with S•O•SSM sampling ports and hydraulic test ports for the hydraulic system, engine oil, and for coolant. A test connection for the Cat Electronic Technician (Cat ET) service tool is located in the cab.
Complete Customer Support
Cat® dealer services help you operate longer with lower costs.
You will find nearly all parts at our dealer parts counter. Cat dealers utilize a worldwide computer network to find in-stock parts to minimize machine down time. Save money with remanufactured components.Machine Selection
Make detailed comparisons of the machines you are considering before you buy. What are the job requirements, machine attachments and operating hours? What production is needed? Your Cat dealer can provide recommendations.Customer Support Agreements
Cat dealers offer a variety of product support agreements, and work with customers to develop a plan the best meets specific needs. These plans can cover the entire machine, including attachments, to help protect the customer’s investment.Operation
Improving operating techniques can boost your profits. Your Cat dealer has videotapes, literature and other ideas to help you increase productivity, and Caterpillar offers certified operator training classes to help maximize the return on your investment.Maintenance Services
Repair option programs guarantee the cost of repairs up front. Diagnostic programs such as Scheduled Oil Sampling, Coolant Sampling and Technical Analysis help you avoid unscheduled repairs.Replacement
Repair, rebuild, or replace? Your Cat dealer can help you evaluate the cost involved so you can make the right choice.